X50 Deco unit not connecting to internet after firmware upgrade during install

Yesterday - last edited Yesterday
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: v1.5.5

Hi,

I recently purchased an X50 Deco system with 3 units. During the initial install everything was going well until the firmware upgarded itself from v1.2.2 to v1.5.5. This failed and the red led came on. I then did a factory reset of the unit and rebooted it. The led then went to flashing blue and I connected to it over wifi again to redo the setup but this time it said there was no internet connection and I am unable to connect to the Deco unit through the Deco App (which is probably the case now because the unit is not connecting to the internet). I can see from my modem that the Deco unit has obtained an IP address but won't connect to the internet. I then tried a different Deco unit as the main unit and was able to setup my mesh network because I cancelled the firmware upgarde at the end of the install. However the Deco unit that the initial firmware upgrade failed on is not even able to connect as a satellite. I have tried endless factory resets but no change, it just sits there with the flashing blue led. I have tried wiring this Deco directly to the main Deco but it never connects. It looks like the initial firmware upgrade has bricked this unit and I will be returning the system back to where I purchased it. Does anyone know if these units can be reflashed with an older version of the firmware (I was able to download v1.4.1) even if it is not showing up in the Deco App (like via a direct wired or wifi connection to the Deco unit) ?

Thanks,

Mark

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:X50 Deco unit not connecting to internet after firmware upgrade during install-Solution

Thanks all for the replies yes

I have managed to get the Deco unit to work by doing the following:

1. The affected unit was wired to my network as my plan is to use a wired backhaul for all satellites. So I unplugged the network cable from the unit and rebooted it.
  2. When the unit came back up (flashing blue led), I connected my phones wifi to the SSID of the affected unit. Strangely with the cable disconnected, the affected unit seemed to be able to connect to the internet (it probably connected to the wifi mesh as a normal client device as I would have configured my wifi details on this unit initially during the original install).
  3. In the Deco App, I went to the "Add a Deco Unit" option and when the app did the scan, it picked up the affected unit and added it to my mesh.
  4. Finally, I plugged the network cable back into the affected unit, rebooted all 3 units, and everything is now working! I have a main unit and 2 satellites connected via a wired backhaul.

I took the plunge and upgraded the firmware to v1.5.5 once all the units were online and all seems to be ok.

Maybe if I had of manually added the affected unit using a wireless backhaul via the Deco App after setting up the mesh, this might have worked without having to connect to the units SSID but anyways, the above worked for me.

Thanks,

Mark

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:X50 Deco unit not connecting to internet after firmware upgrade during install
Yesterday

@mstewieirl The web interface allows flashing from a file, but if it won't connect to the mesh that's no use. Looks like you need to return it.

Options
Re:X50 Deco unit not connecting to internet after firmware upgrade during install

It sounds like you’re experiencing a frustrating issue with your Deco X50 unit following the firmware upgrade. To troubleshoot, first, power cycle your modem and all Deco units, as this can often resolve connectivity problems. Check your modem settings to ensure it’s not blocking the Deco unit through access control or MAC filtering. Since you’ve tried connecting the affected unit directly to the main Deco ensure you're using a good Ethernet cable for that connection. Unfortunately, downgrading firmware isn't officially supported on Deco devices, but you can reach out to TP-Link support for assistance or potential recovery options. Make sure your Deco app is up to date as outdated apps can cause issues as well. If all else fails and the unit remains unresponsive, returning or exchanging it is a reasonable option. If you do manage to recover it, consider disabling automatic firmware updates in the future to avoid similar problems. Good luck getting your system back up and running!

Options
Re:X50 Deco unit not connecting to internet after firmware upgrade during install-Solution

Thanks all for the replies yes

I have managed to get the Deco unit to work by doing the following:

1. The affected unit was wired to my network as my plan is to use a wired backhaul for all satellites. So I unplugged the network cable from the unit and rebooted it.
  2. When the unit came back up (flashing blue led), I connected my phones wifi to the SSID of the affected unit. Strangely with the cable disconnected, the affected unit seemed to be able to connect to the internet (it probably connected to the wifi mesh as a normal client device as I would have configured my wifi details on this unit initially during the original install).
  3. In the Deco App, I went to the "Add a Deco Unit" option and when the app did the scan, it picked up the affected unit and added it to my mesh.
  4. Finally, I plugged the network cable back into the affected unit, rebooted all 3 units, and everything is now working! I have a main unit and 2 satellites connected via a wired backhaul.

I took the plunge and upgraded the firmware to v1.5.5 once all the units were online and all seems to be ok.

Maybe if I had of manually added the affected unit using a wireless backhaul via the Deco App after setting up the mesh, this might have worked without having to connect to the units SSID but anyways, the above worked for me.

Thanks,

Mark

Recommended Solution
Options