Cannot block DNS request port 53.. using opendns

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-01-23 22:06:43
Region : Argentina

Model : TD-W8968

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 0.6.0 1.3 v000e.0 Build 131012 Rel.51720n

ISP : zen

Hi

I have implemented opendns so ahve the dns servers on the router pointing to theirs.

I use DHCP and reservations and give these settings to the clients.

All fine

However, the clients can change their dns settings to google to bypass... users are admins and will continue to stay that way.

I tried to block outbound access on firewall (ipv4 no ipv6) for port 53 to block custom DNS but its not working.

Technically this should work and with having the firewall option on the router.. again.. this should work.

Can someone help please..

By not working I mean users can still look up naughty sites and not get a block

Thanks in advance

R
Options
5 Reply
Re:Cannot block DNS request port 53.. using opendns
2014-01-26 10:16:57
I'm afraid there is no silimar setting on TD-W8968 :(
Options
2014-01-26 20:42:18
Thanks for reply..

I know there might not be a specific setting.. but I thought I should be able to block port 53 for outgoing as there are the firewall rules.

Do these not work>>?

thanks in advance

R
Options
2014-01-27 08:56:45
You can make such settings in Firewall-->LAN Host or WAN Host, if you don't know the detailed steps, you can refer to FAQ :)
Options
Tried that
2014-01-30 01:28:19
I did follow and they just seem to be ignored.

Can anyone verify that they have done this or something similar and the router happily did it?

Thanks

R
Options
2014-01-31 00:41:49
When you tested that port 53 wasn't blocked, did you flush the computer local DNS cache or rebooted the computer?
If you can't block port 53, you could try to block the google DNS server IPs in router FW.

Using DNS to block sites is better than nothing, but isn't a perfect solution, the end user could still enter the site IP address in the browser, bypassing the DNS server or add the site host name and IP address to the computer local host file.

I can't replicate your issue because I have a W8970.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 846

Replies: 5