A wifi solution

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

A wifi solution

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
A wifi solution
A wifi solution
2014-02-04 09:23:33
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TD-W8980

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Shared the same common WiFi problems

WiFi would randomly disconnect.
Wifi still connected, internet down. even though its running fine internally (Diagnostics test)
Only solution would be to power on/off the router or reboot. Unacceptable. :mad:

This being a brand new router which I chose over my previous w8968 (also plagued by WiFi ADSL dropouts)
I decided to go through settings and eliminate some variables.

What I did that WORKED:-

- delete the bridge profile in NETWORK > WAN SETTINGS
the bridge profile which was automatically generated in new router, never needed it so I deleted it. Keep the ADSL one.

- lower 5GHZ transmit power to 50% in WIRELESS 5GHZ > WIRELESS ADVANCED

And secondary settings to ensure stability

- Locked the WIFI channels to a specific number, use a wifi analyser app to pick the best one
- Assign a static IP to each device, (wish it had a drop down list of connected devices to make life easier.)
- Changed the Security to WPA AES on 2.4GHZ as some device have issues with WPA2 AES

A reboot after all changes made was necessary.

Having done this has given me WIFI stability, and in turn ADSL stability.

I am currently connecting 18 devices to router and stable at almost 2 weeks without a power cycle.

yes 18... :p

Firmware version:0.6.0 1.3 v000e.0 Build 131012 Rel.51720n

Hardware version:TD-W8980 v1 00000000

System Up Time:12 day(s) 13:57:13

DSL Modulation Type:ADSL_2plus

Annex Type:Annex A
Options
9 Reply
Re:A wifi solution
2014-02-08 14:17:51
Marvellous!!!
Options
2014-06-03 09:22:03
unfortunately/sadly, this "fix" do not working with TD-W8970 which he have similar problems/issues.
It was very good to be true... at least for TD-8970 owners (i think they have similar hardware too, that two models)

Fully tested unfortunately...

The problem until now, as im trying to find what is going on many months now, it is hardware, not software. The whole wireless chip must have manufactured faulty... I want to believe for a software problem which when... tp-link engineers look seriously their code (and tp-link their customers, us!) again can be fixed, but until now, they fixing less important bugs, with a really strange priority in their work in the code for TD-8970/80. That indicates they leaving the MAJOR bugs out. That indicates also, after months of researching it myself, a hardware problem, perhaps from the factory...

ALL owners of this models, which they using wireless connection along with the wired, they knew it, they see it. And i mean, ALL owners, for all of devices for this models, from ALL the globe which that models are available for sale...
Options
Constant Dropouts.
2014-06-10 12:46:16
I have been having the same problem. I have had the modem three days and constantly have to reset to factory default and then redo all my settings. I spoke to TP-Link tech support they told me to delete the bridge this helped temporarily and now i still have dropouts.

I will try the above fix tonight when i get home.

Very annoying though.

The error message i get is that my modem is no configured properly. I don't have anything running on the 5G network so maybe i will just disable this.
Options
Won't work
2014-06-12 03:32:23
This solution does not work. I believe administrators made this solution sticky to make it look like the have something to make the situation better. The simple truth is that the W8980 is not reliable even for simple tasks. Connection on 2.4ghz is incredibly unstable, wifi signal will keep freezing from time to time with pings reaching 5k+ ms to the router alone. 5ghz wont even show all the time. Those problems exists even after firmware updates, power cycle, reset to factory and etc. And there's been no answer from TP-Link yet regarding those (LOTS) of issues. I won't be buying from them again, that is for sure.

TD-W8980 is unreliable. Stay away from it if you can. I will be returning the one I unfortunately bought before reading this forum as it is beyond hope.
Options
2014-07-14 18:30:02
not working.
Options
2014-07-15 23:17:22
Please see my new post here. A new firmware has just been uploaded that may resolved this issue??
Worth a try :-)

http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?76859-TPLink-W8980-(N600)-New-Firmware-Update-Released-W8980_V1_140619&region=china

Regards
Mark
Options
2014-07-16 11:52:44
In fact, all wireless routers may face instability and drop out issues.
That's quite normal because wireless is less stable than wired connection.
There are a lot of wireless interference in our house, but we can make some changes on our wireless router to make things get a little better.:D

Take TD-W8980 as an example.
1. Fix the channel
Use inssider to scan the wireless network around, pick up a channel which there is little customer use.

2. Select 20MHz only.
40MHz means you're using 2 channels at the same time, therefore, you may face more interference if there are a lot of wireless network around.

3. Fix the IP address.

4. Select security type as WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK + AES

If there is still problem, I think we can contact our router's tech support
They may help us with this issue:p
Options
Por fin ....
2014-08-31 03:46:20
Despues de mucho configurar, por fin di con los parametros de estabilizacion de la red en 2.4 y 5 Ghz:
- Eliminar el bridge por defecto
- Actualizar el ultimo firmware
- 2.4: 11bgn, canal 10, 40 Mhz, activar SSID.

Eso soluciono la inestabilidad :)
Saludos desde Peru
Options
2014-11-09 18:56:18
Had the same problem. ADSL dropouts happened mainly when gaming or using torrents. Suspected that that it was due to limitations on the size of the port address translation table, so I reconfigured my TD-W8980 to be in wireless router mode only, and configured an EWAN link to my old TD-W8960N. Configured the TD-W8960N to be an ADSL router only (disabled the wifi) and the problem disappeared, and only reappearing when I configured bittorrent to use over 100 connections globally, so I set it to use under 100.

Wireless clients ---->TD-W8980 -----> TD-W8960N --------> ISP --------> Internet

That leaves me to conclude that the router is either under-resourced, only poorly optimised for incoming connections. It also does not appear to be limited to TP-Link routers, many others share the same problem.

If you have an older DSL router, it may make sense to do something similar.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 736

Replies: 9

Related Articles