Archer C7 - Poor/Bad range on 5Ghz

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-11-11 03:08:44
Region : Denmark

Model : Archer C7

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version : 3.14.1 Build 140903 Rel.59254n

ISP : Waoo/Seas-NVE Denmark

Hello.

I bought a new computer a few months ago which had an internal AC module (Intel Dual Band AC 7260), so i needed to upgrade my Router to get the full advantage of this speed. Ended up buying a TP Link Archer C7.

I'm having very bad reception on the 5ghz channel, but full reception on the 2.4ghz channel. If i wanted to use the 2.4 connection, i wouldnt have bought this router in the first place, so why am i having such poor signal on the 5ghz - sometimes i cant even connect to the 5ghz band.

The router is placed about 5-6 meters away (thats about 18 feet), and it needs to transmit the signal through a floor (router is placed on 1st floor, and im sitting on the main floor). The router is placed on a wall, with the antenna's pointing horizontal out in the room (not upwards against the wall). Ive heard that the 5ghz range transmit more poorly through objects/walls etc, but really? It's one(1!) ceiling (made of wood & isolation, mostly). - if the answer is that the ceiling could be the reason for these transmitting problems, then im getting second thoughts on how brilliant this "invention" of using the 5ghz band really is... the name is Wifi... so why isnt it 'wifing' as it should?

Q: Can i do anything to get a stronger signal on the 5ghz band? Better antenna's? or is that just a waste of money?

Last resort question: Could anyone recommend an USB AC Adapter which has incredible signal thru-put, so i can rule out the possiblity of this being the router.

Any help appriciated.

Charlie.
Options
9 Reply
Re:Archer C7 - Poor/Bad range on 5Ghz
2014-11-11 09:29:10
Hi Charlie, about wireless coverage, generally, the lower the frequency the farther a wireless signal can travel. Therefore, devices on a 5 GHz network will tend to have a shorter range than those using 2.4 GHz. This can be mitigated somewhat with sophisticated antenna technology, but if a given device is relatively far from TL-WDR3500 and blocked by obstacles such as walls, you may have better luck connecting via 2.4 GHz.

Besides, antenna angle affects wireless transmission quality. It’s best practice to place the antennas not straight upward but at a angle with horizontal line. The recommended angle is between 45 degree to 60 degree. You can also try different channels.
Options
2014-11-13 11:05:30
I added 3 of the C2 versions to get decent coverage in the house. I'm not sure it was worth the extra work and money but I have the 5 GHz throughout now and can use it on both floors fine now. Coverage on the higher bands is very disappointing to be sure.
Options
2014-11-14 09:31:46
Every rose has its thorn. Enjoy advantages given by 5GHz. :)
Options
2020-06-08 23:25:34

@Ada 

Hi , how are you doing?

Sorry for bringing this thread back to life but I am having a similar issue.

Some months ago I bought a new Archer C7 AC1750 V5  and I am having issues regarding the range of the 5 Ghz band.

I have my pc in a different room than my router more or less 5 mts between each other.

There is only a wall between them however when I use my PC it receives the 5Ghz signal very low, sometimes it connects but it starts to lose signal and automatically change to the 2.4Ghz.

I cant believe that this router cant reach a 5 mts range... I want to use this band as its the less congestioned one and can achieve best speeds.

But with this behavior its almos impossible to use it as it keeps swapping between 2.4 and 5.

I could disable 5Ghz but the dual band is why I bought it.

Can you please give me any suggestion in how to solve this issue or improve a bit the range that doesnt imply buying new gear?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Diego D:

Options
2020-06-09 02:47:58

@drups87 

Before we start to discuss the 5G connection issue or inquiry, please kindly check the below link to know the difference between 2.4G and 5G wireless networks:

The differences between 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wireless

Back to the 5G coverage and disconnection issue you reported, we may check below details then:

1. Try to choose and change another wireless channel for the 5G connection on the router:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2292/

2. Try with different computers or mobile devices to test the 5G connection. As we know, the wireless connection includes two parts: Sending and Receiving, so the connection status won't be good if the adapter reception is not good.

4. If possible, try to relocate your PC in order to ensure it can receive a better signal from the router.

Options
2020-06-09 18:23:48

@Solla-topee 

Hi, thanks for your quick reply.

I already know the differences of each frequencie and understand that with 5Ghz the signal strength is weaker.

I've already tried changing channels. However, using inssider I can check that there should not be any issue regarding the channel as there is no other equipment working in the 5Ghz band near, my router is the only one.

I've tried with one notebook ASUS ROG, an iPhone 11 and a Nokia Plus 5.1.

Maybe is something with the reception of my devices as you've mentioned but I've tested it with 3 completely different devices.

The three of them can work with 5Ghz and at the same distance from the router the 3 of them receive too low signal so they connect to 2.4 instead.

Maybe is a hardware limitation, I really dont know.

I work in IT and already talked with the wifi guys and we didnt find nothing strange that could be affecting the performance.

I only was hopping that I was doing something wrong or something in the knowledge base that can help me before having to buy something else again like an extender or new router.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Diego D.

Options
2020-06-10 01:41:00

@drups87 

Hello Diego, sorry to hear that.

As you described, the 5G Wi-Fi signal seems absorbed or reflected by the wall between the router and your computer. Have you tested to check the signal in the same room or in a more open location?

BTW, check and ensure the firmware of the router is already the latest one on the TP-Link official website.

Options
2020-11-05 20:08:21

@Solla-topee  HI, hope you're doing well.

Recently I've started to troubleshoot again this issue as I cant accept that the 5Ghz cant reach to my PC.

I've installed inSSIDer to check out the signal that my PC was receiving for both bands.

For 5 Ghz its between -70 to -75 which is not good to establish consistent connection.

However, I've tried changing some configs in the web interfaces with no good results but found out that whenever I change the to ON or OFF to the smart connect feature the 5Ghz received in my PC is around -58 to -62 making it a normal/good strength for establishing the connection.

My PC automatically switch to the 5Ghz band and its all good but this behavior lasts only for some minutes and then the strength drops again to -70 so the PC switchs again to the 2.4 band.

I dont think that the issue is related to the smart connect feature as it doesnt matter if Iam turning it ON or OFF, it looks more like when switching from ON to OFF or OFF to ON, something in the background happens that improve the strength of the 5Ghz band.

I really dont understand what is going on.

Thanks.

Regards,

Diego D.

Options
2020-11-06 07:18:41

@drups87 

Hello, have you tried to upgrade to the latest firmware? Give it a try:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/archer-c7/#Firmware

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3330

Replies: 9

Related Articles