How to recovery the router when you bricked it?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to recovery the router when you bricked it?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
29 Reply
Re:How to recovery the router when you bricked it?
2019-07-22 21:16:26

Hi, i think i have a bricked re350. Any chance to recover it? I think i can plainly see some serial pins, but i'm not too certain. Any chance someone has the schematics?

Thanks in advance.

Options
Re:Re:How to recovery the router when you bricked it?
2019-07-23 02:38:48

@Donat0 

What is the led status of RE350? How do you know that the extender is bricked? Is there any specific symptom?

Try to hard reset it by holding the reset hole for 1s with the extender powered on. 

If possible, you can show us a short video of the current led status after you reset it. 

Meanwhile, when and where did you buy this RE350? 

Options
Re:Re:Re:How to recovery the router when you bricked it?
2019-07-23 05:42:43

All the LEDs light up for a few seconds. Then they all turn off and start again.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:How to recovery the router when you bricked it?
2019-07-24 06:46:46

@Donat0 

Hi sorry  to tell you that the RE350 does not support firmware recovery feature, so there is not much we can do. 

You can contact our tech support via email to check whether it is qualified to get a replacement. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/contact-technical-support/#E-mail-Support 

Options
Re:Re:How to recovery the router when you bricked it?
2019-08-11 13:18:36
Hi, I don't know if you are still struggling with this or if you have already thrown away your router. But the way I fixed the blinking lights was to use for recovery the same file I used to change the firmware to openwrt. Hope it helps someone still struggling with this. This might be caused by the fact that the bootloader somehow expects the exact same firmware you already had installed
Options
2019-10-17 01:29:36

krishyogi wrote

Connection received from 192.168.0.86 on port 1550 [14/02 09:00:36.218]Read request for file . Mode octet [14/02 09:00:36.218]
OACK: [14/02 09:00:36.218]
Using local port 61811 [14/02 09:00:36.218]
: sent 16002 blks, 8192512 bytes in 4 s. 0 blk resent [14/02 09:00:40.466]

Then, all the lights on router are just flashing and never restarting.. actually i left one entire night hoping it will restart.. i tried this again.. same issue, it's not restarting.. nor when i restart manually helping.

Has anyone gotten past this one? I'm seeing very similar on my Archer A7 v5 AC1750; specifically the issue appears that the TFTP connection happens after the factory reset light turns green and then no matter when the reset button is released the router will reset after a few seconds interupting the TFTP process.

Here's what I'm seeing:

• Start TFTP server on 192.168.0.66/24
  • Hold reset button and turn on power to router
  • The power light turns solid green and after 4 seconds the reset button turns solid green
  • TFTP logs begin shortly after the reset light with text:

Connection recieved from 192.168.0.86 on port 3493 [timestamp]

Read request for file <ArcherC7v5_tp_recovery.bin>. Mode octet [timestamp]

OACK: <timeout=5> [timestamp]

Using local port 54984 [timestamp]

<ArcherC7v5_tp_recovery.bin>: sent 8581 bytes in 2 s. 0 blk resent [timestamp]

• No further logs appear after this and after a couple seconds the router restarts, briefly flashing the network light orange followed by all lights green then back to just the power light being solid green as it is originally

I've tried releasing the reset button at several different times both before and after the reset light:

• Releasing prior to reset light never triggers the TFTP connection
  • Releasing after the reset light always results in router restarting
  • Simply continuing to hold the reset light just causes the above sequence to loop over and over

Any advice on how to proceed would be much appreciated.

Options
2019-11-19 08:24:42

Hello,

Recently i get an WDR4300 V1.7 router. Unfortunately it was half-bricked…

When i powered it on the power, the system and the 2,4GHz wifi leds constantly lit. I got no access to the router, the reset switch not worked, and when i put the wifi on/off switch also nothing happens.

So i try the tftpd option. First attempt no luck, it seemed all ok, but the router then went into bootloop (all leds flashing continuously). But at least something changed to the state with which I received the device.

Then i tried 4-5 times again, but nothing, the file was uploaded, but again bootloop. I tried with all 3 fw i found on tp-links website, but no luck.

Then i become an idea: because i don’t know what fw was on the router (maybe something 3rd party) i tried it with an stripped fw, and the second try was successful, the router was unbricked. Stripped fw for some tp-link routers are here: https://www.friedzombie.com/tplink-stripped-firmware/

Options
2019-11-27 10:17:30

Hi, I'm hoping that you can give me an help.

I've an MR3420 v2.3 given by my old captive page's ISP. But this ISP has closed in bankruptcy and the router has left unused with OpenWRT 15 installed on it.
So I've decided to upgrade the firmware to 17.01.6 as suggested on the OpenWRT page
naively ignoring the flash space problem by the LUCI interface.

Trying to make an extroot I've followed the guide to mod a firmware but I've accidentally flashed with the factory image and something gone wrong, whipping all the packanges and services installed away (including LUCI).

After the reboot, I've tried several time to install again LUCI and configure the extroot but there wasn't the packanges that have to been on the installed OpenWRT firmware.

With no chance of success, I've rebboted it in receovery mode and maked the error to change throught SSH the firmware with the factory official

The procedure fail and the situation is imploded...
The only thing that
the router can do from that moment is to rebooting forever with all the LEDs lit up, giving to my windows 7 x64 laptop the address 169.254.220.29 for some seconds before die again.
Pressing the reset button while power up and keep pressed doesn't take any effect...

There is some chance to recover the situation and use it or is better to buy a new router?

Thanks in advance
Neil

Options
2019-12-12 06:47:02 - last edited 2019-12-12 06:49:05

@Fitz 

I have a TP-Link TL-WR841N Wi-Fi router. I decided to reflash it because I started to work slowly. Used the firmware on your site. Everything went well. Followed all instructions to complete the work.

Options
Related Articles