Archer VR900 random error "Please try to configure your DNS manually."

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer VR900 random error "Please try to configure your DNS manually."

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
107 Reply
Re:Archer VR900 random error "Please try to configure your DNS manually."
2019-12-17 08:17:46

@babasse29 

Hello, what is the hardware version of your Archer VR900?

Meanwhile, please check the country version, which is printed on the back label, next to the model number. 

Thanks in advance. 

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2019-12-17 17:31:55

@Kevin_Z 

hi

this is the Archer VR900(EU)3.0

last firmware from 170303

im trying to use a french ISP ("free_vdsl"), but before ive got make it work with the previous ISP (it was orange).

But it doesnt seems to work anymore with the free, with or without the phone splitter, no matter configuration i use (automated or manual)

Manual config reach sync with the line but finish with a NICP problem (network inspection failure) and the famous "please configure your DNS manually".

Whatever DNS i use (ISP DNS or external DNS), it doesnt work.

Options
2019-12-19 07:11:00

@babasse29 

Hello, thanks for your reply. 

We have released a beta firmware which you can install and test the performance. 

I send it to your via message, please check it. 

Good day. 

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2019-12-19 16:48:51

@Kevin_Z 

thx im going to test that

Options
2019-12-31 06:12:43

@Kevin_Z   long story short i have bought the tp link vr900 v3 EU modem router last few days . Although the modem seems to have improved my internet numbers.. (better speeds lower response time) the overall experience gets bad with random disconnections  and exactly the same syptoms everyone mentions .diagnostics failing, unable to resolve dns  please put it manually and so on.  I opened a ticket but so far i didn t get a solution.. snr margin is around 6-6.5. the old modem works flawlessly and smooth .. Any update firmware or ways around this issue are welcomed.. i paid big amount like everyone else to improve my experience ..not to be tortured like this.. Plz help!

Options
2020-02-09 09:36:53

@Kevin_Z 

Also just purchased the VR900 a couple of months ago.

Sometimes works OK. Sometimes disconnects randomly.

At times very frequent disconnects - this morning 10+ disconnects within an hour.

The Basic tab shows Line Status: Disconnected, followed by  the infamous "Please try to configure your DNS manually."

Strangely the Advanced tab shows the Line Status to be connected...

Also the ISP does not see the disconnection from their side.

It is as the device believes it is disconnected for some reason while it is not...

Tried all suggested fixes in the previous threads. No joy.

I am currently trying dicect connection (DSL) without the splitter.

This issue seem to have been on since 2016. We are in 2020... Still no fix? I can either dump the device and get something else, or plug a 15$ DSL-modem in front and use the VR900 as a router only in bridge mode, but than would be ridiculous and frustrating.

I've read a couple of posts up that a new beta firmware was released to one person for testing. What was the outcome? What about the rest of us?

Options
2020-02-09 11:09:25

@Noufi 

Hello, 

After several emails , the tp link support sent me a beta updated bios which is way better in features and also worked like a charm without me having to configure anything beyond the quick setup . The constant crashes and instability went away  it works like a charm for the most part with great speads and ping reduced to half.. The only thing i notice is after several several days of use is drop in speed and ping raise ,but i can live with that, since all it takes is running the quick setup every 15 days  for a couple of minutes without changing anything  and all goes back to normal... 98%satisfied.. its a pitty this firmware isn t official yet after so many years... we shouldn t have to beg for it.

Options
2020-02-09 12:34:05

@Gioxxx84 

Thanks Gio for your prompt reply. yes 

Honestly I don't like the idea to have to beg for that fix. Since this seems to be a recurrent problem, TP-Link support should release this beta fix (with usual disclaimer) on this forum for others to also beta test.

So far I had no disconnections since I removed the splitter, but as this is a random problem, I cannot yet confirm the two are linked. Will have to wait and see...

Options
2020-02-22 23:41:14 - last edited 2020-02-22 23:41:54

@Gioxxx84 

So removing the splitter did not help for long.

Still geting many disconnect from time to time. Long periods where it is OK, then the dreaded "configure your DNS manually" comes back several times in a row. Like 10-12 times in the past hour...

Did the beta bios help at all, and how can I get a copy of it?

Options
2020-02-23 03:08:05

@Noufi 

Hello i don' t know if it will solve your specific problems  but it definately solved mine .As a matter of fact this should have been the official  driver preinstalled  so that everything works  right from the start...Disconnections stopped for me, line is stable without any tweaking,  the router does it job as it s supposed to... You should ask  straight for the beta bios from tp link support and they ll send it to you

Options