How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

401 Reply
Re:Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with Deco M5
2018-12-30 12:23:10 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
Helllo, I'm experiencing the same problem, Ethernet switch seem to be the issue (DLink in my case). Have you find a solution ? Thanks
Options
2018-12-30 12:28:24 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
Thanks for the information, I also struggling with DLink switch and trying to make it work with Deco in Ethernet BackHaul Mode. I will try a different brand of switch and it should be OK. This is still very anoying, I have spend several hours to figure this out.
Options
2018-12-31 18:47:58 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

Hi there!

It seems you're trying a setup similar to the one I tried, trying to use the modem/router lan ports as some kind of switch. I even started a new thread about it: Ethernet Backhaul through modem/router

Did yours work?

Options
2018-12-31 18:52:33 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

dmitryperets wrote

Hi,

Does Deco support the following topology?

|- DECO #1
MODEM/SWITCH |
|- DECO #2

In words: It is basically similar to the start topology described in this post, but the modem and the switch is actually the same device.
I have my modem installed at the entrance of the house, and it can also act as router/switch/whatever. And I have a wired connection from each room to it. It does bridging between all these wires. So I'd like to interconnect the DECOs using these wires.

Will it work...? In your topology, you use separate WAN and LAN ports. But in my case, WAN and LAN port is actually the same... going to the modem/switch.

Hey there, it seems your setup is similar to the one I tried, using the modem/router lan ports to connect two Deco units. I even posted about it: Ethernet Backhaul through modem/router.

Have yours worked? If so, the Deco units were within wi fi range? I mean, has the ethernet backhaul worked or were they only connected through wi fi?

Options
Re:Re:Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with Deco M5
2019-01-02 12:15:48 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

Here is the answer from TP-Link. I have now set-up my network with TPLink switch and it work find. Still tgere is no way to validate if the network is really using the Ethernet Backhaul. 

Mbilodeau wrote

Thanks for the information, I also struggling with DLink switch and trying to make it work with Deco in Ethernet BackHaul Mode. I will try a different brand of switch and it should be OK. This is still very anoying, I have spend several hours to figure this out.

Dear Customer,

Thanks for your feedback.
The issue you mentioned seems an issue with the D-Link switch as we also received several feedback from other customers using D-Link switch as well.
After a test, we have located the root cause. Deco adopts the IEEE 1905.1 standard protocol to create the Ethernet Backhaul network. When Ethernet backhaul is working, Deco will disconnect the Wi-Fi backhaul to avoid the network loop issue.
However, we find that some D-Link switches won't forward the IEEE 1905.1 packets, causing that both Ethernet and wireless connections between Decos are working at the same time, which resulting in a network loop, causing the whole Deco system becomes unstable. 

We already tested with switches of some other brands (unmanaged or managed), all work fine except some of the D-Link switches. Even some D-Link managed switches are working fine by forwarding the IEEE 1905.1 packets as expected.
Regarding this case, we recommend to contact D-Link support for a solution. Or change another switch such as TP-Link unmanaged switch which is confirmed working with Deco Ethernet Backhaul connection.
Here is the reference link for TP-Link switches: https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/switches/

Thanks.

Options
Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with Deco M5
2019-01-27 04:43:56 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

If only I'd read this thread earlier...

I just connected my Deco's to a D-Link DGS-1008A and it broke my whole network.

Luckily I had a spare Netgear GS105 which works beautifully.

TP-Link (and D-Link) should specify the requirement and lack of IEEE 1905.1, respectively!

Also, the Deco app should show whether ethernet backhaul mode is working (correctly.)

Options
2019-01-29 09:39:33 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

The issue only occurs on some D-Link switches, TP-Link switches can work with Deco properly.

In future updates, will show how Decos are connected in Deco App.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with Deco M5
2019-01-29 23:39:56 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
Oh. Thanks for sharing this.
Options
Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with Deco M5
2019-02-07 00:33:09 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

hi i have a doubt i hope you can help me?

I have 3 units DECO M5 the main one is connected to my Internet provider via ethernet the other units are connected to each other through the WIFI and everything seems to be fine and not give problems.

I have a DVR on top of my house and I connect the Ethernet to the DECO 2 but it works super slow and the DVR takes years to respond then to solve that pull an Ethernet cable to the Main DECO (1) and I see that the DECO have two Ethernet ports then connect it directly to that port being the other is busy to connect to the Internet provider but I do not understand why it does not give me a signal for that port of the DECO Principal or will I have to configure something special or perhaps the DECO Main Does not have the other port in operation because it is the main one?

My other idea is to connect a Swicth in the surplus port of the DECO to pull the cables directly to the other devices.

Options
2019-02-08 01:04:10 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

Please rephrase your question (questions?) - a >100 word sentence does not make it easy to answer.

Options