Sander2506 wrote

@TP-Link Deco Is this a good setup?

i will wire all the deco devices.

@Sander2506 That's fine.

Options
Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices
2019-11-28 06:36:37

Hi,

I am new to mesh wifi and have just ordered a M9 Plus set. As I need to pull some cables from basement to 1. floor where I would like the AP to be installed, I would appriciate if someone with experience could confirm that the following will work. In my basement my Internet connection terminates. Here I also have a Netgear GS316 Gigabit switch with cable connections to a couple of smart devices (eg. my Philips Hue bridge). Here is what I plan to do:

Cable (new) from Internet modem in basement to M9/1 AP port1 on 1. floor

Cable (new) return from M9/1 AP port2 to switch in basement

Cable from switch to M9/2 (long distance, cable already in place)

Wireless connction from M9/1 AP to M9/3 (short distance)

Thanks in advance!

Options
2019-11-28 23:40:14

kaja69 wrote

Hi,

I am new to mesh wifi and have just ordered a M9 Plus set. As I need to pull some cables from basement to 1. floor where I would like the AP to be installed, I would appriciate if someone with experience could confirm that the following will work. In my basement my Internet connection terminates. Here I also have a Netgear GS316 Gigabit switch with cable connections to a couple of smart devices (eg. my Philips Hue bridge). Here is what I plan to do:

Cable (new) from Internet modem in basement to M9/1 AP port1 on 1. floor

Cable (new) return from M9/1 AP port2 to switch in basement

Cable from switch to M9/2 (long distance, cable already in place)

Wireless connction from M9/1 AP to M9/3 (short distance)

Thanks in advance!

@kaja69 

Here is what's i believe is the easiest if you planning to run M9s in AP mode :

Cable from Internet modem to Switch (Internet Modem acting as DHCP and M9s run AP mode)

Cable from M9/1 to Switch

Cable from M9/2 to Switch

Wifi from M9/3 to M9/1 if you say distance is close  (I suggest to run cable from M9/3 to switch as well for best performance but upto you)

HTH

Samy

Options
2019-11-30 06:59:16 - last edited 2019-11-30 07:02:43

@SamyKn Thanks Samy, I thought the internet modem had to be connected to the first M9 before switch (ref the illustration in post #1). What you are writing is easier: basically "all I have" into the switch including all three M9's as I understand you. Running DHCP from internet modem is no problem and I guess there is no down side to your suggested setup?

Options
2019-11-30 10:32:20 - last edited 2019-11-30 10:33:10

kaja69 wrote

@SamyKn Thanks Samy, I thought the internet modem had to be connected to the first M9 before switch (ref the illustration in post #1). What you are writing is easier: basically "all I have" into the switch including all three M9's as I understand you. Running DHCP from internet modem is no problem and I guess there is no down side to your suggested setup?

@kaja69 

Hi Mate,

I highlighted that assuming you use the M9 as AP mode , not router mode.

AP mode means it's just acting as Wireless Access point and you leave all the internet NAT...etc to your current modem.

If you wanna use as Router mode , then connect the modem to M9/1 and from M9/1 second port to switch.

I personally don't like the M5/M9 as router mode , limited administartion feature set and some stuff not tweakable.

Options
2019-11-30 11:41:24

@SamyKn I read that when in AP mode I loose the gateway features including Antivirus, Parental Controls, QoS, IPv4 etc. Obviously also DHCP server but there is no problem in letting my internet modem do that (does already). I suppose the mesh wifi will run exactly as good in AP mode? Does people find those gateway features valuable on the M9 Plus set?

Options
2019-12-01 00:42:41

kaja69 wrote

@SamyKn I read that when in AP mode I loose the gateway features including Antivirus, Parental Controls, QoS, IPv4 etc. Obviously also DHCP server but there is no problem in letting my internet modem do that (does already). I suppose the mesh wifi will run exactly as good in AP mode? Does people find those gateway features valuable on the M9 Plus set?

@kaja69 

I read that when in AP mode I loose the gateway features including Antivirus, Parental Controls, QoS, IPv4 etc.

\_Correct, if you use AP mode , you'll lose those feature.

Obviously also DHCP server but there is no problem in letting my internet modem do that (does already). I suppose the mesh wifi will run exactly as good in AP mode? Does people find those gateway features valuable on the M9 Plus set?

\_Wifi mesh functionality is irrespective of mode you run your M9s and is fine either mode.  

Depends if you have a capable modem for advanced features or not , if you don't use it as Router mode.( i have a good one , so i don't need those features from my M5s and just want Wifi functionality)

HTH

Options
2019-12-04 12:08:25

@TP-Link Deco 

Hey guys,

Just got a set of 3 M4 units and installed them, Installation was very easy and I already had cables laying (CAT6 100% copper), so it was easy for me to connect them in a wireless backhaul setup:

Modem > Deco 1 (router mode) > Switch 1 > **splits in 2 switches**
> Switch 2 > Deco 2 (And other devices connected by wire)
> Switch 3 > Deco 3 (And other devices connected by wire)

However it seems that one of the nodes is still connected wirelessly even though the cable is (correctly, i've checked) plugged in. When I check the app I see one device named "DECO_lots-o-numbers" and connection is set to "Wireless". Whats strange is that I do not see the other Deco's in this app with a connection set to "Wireless" or "Wired" this makes me wonder if that device is actually stand for one of the Deco units, or is it something else? Maybe some kind of controller that's always wirelessly connected?
I hope someone understands my question and can give me an answer. Thanks!

Options
2019-12-05 11:07:44

@TP-Link Deco 

Hey folks,

I'm looking for recommendations for a TP-LINK switch to work in the star network model with my M5 Deco.

Could you please tell me which ones work seamlessly? Should it matter if fast ethernet or gigabit?

Thanks in advance.

Options