How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

401 Reply
Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with Deco M5
2017-11-16 10:22:45 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

TP-Link Deco wrote

@santoshhyadav
Have you tried to connect the second Deco directly to the LAN port of the main one? Will it work in this case? If yes, it seems an issue between Deco and the switches. Try to change the management IP address of the switches for a check.
Need to clarify that you need to firstly set up the three units in the same network via the Deco app before you use the Ethernet Backhaul features.

Is simply changing the IP address sufficient (say to 192.168.0.3), or does the subnet (subnet mask?) need to be changed, as stated in Note 4 in the original post?
Options
2017-11-23 18:50:50 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

TP-Link Deco wrote

Ethernet Backhaul is a feature which makes it possible to wired the Deco units together.

Thanks to this feature, every two Deco units can be wired with an Ethernet cable. And Deco will prefer to transmit data between two units through the Ethernet connection, which is more stable and faster than Wi-Fi.

Here are two typical connection structures for Ethernet Backhaul:

Hi. I am about t purchase a Deco set, and want to check my understanding of the Ethernet Backhaul feature.

But firstly, Q1: Does the Deco system somehow ‘encourage’ devices to use the best Deco unit, e.g when moving around the house?
(With my current collection of routers/APs/extenders, my devices seem to hang on as long as possible to even the weakest of signals, before eventually changing to a much stronger one... often long after the throughput has dwindled to almost nothing!)

Then Q2: When configured as in the first post in this thread (either daisychain or star) rather the pure wireless mesh, will this feature still work - e.g. will devices still be actively encouraged/forced use the best Deco Wi-fi signal?

Thanks
Options
2017-11-25 15:28:05 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
@TP-Link, you should make an amendment to the frist post in this thread: you need to let your customers know that guest network does not work when running Ethernet backhaul.
Options
2017-11-25 21:35:38 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

Muggost wrote

@TP-Link, you should make an amendment to the frist post in this thread: you need to let your customers know that guest network does not work when running Ethernet backhaul.
Guest network works just fine under ethernet backhaul. I really fail to undertand these problems you guys are having. This setup is really as simple as it can possibly be.I run 3 Deco units. The primary one is connected to my modem via ethernet. Off of the second port of that Deco, I have an 8 port Netgear gigabit switch. Connected to that switch I have another 8 port gigabit switch (Yes, I know. But I have alot of wired connections). From there I have an ethernet cable which runs to the farthest room if my house connected to another 5 port Netgear gigabit switch. Off of that switch I have my second Deco, and a wired computer. My third Deco is running in pure wireless mode. I set them up all on wireless first, and then put them in the places I wanted them, and everything runs super. The oy quibble I have, is DHCP reservation is not always assigning the appropriate I.P. addresses configured, but I am sure I will get that figured out soon enough.
Options
2017-11-25 21:37:47 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
Muggost, it works just fine with ethernet backhaul.
Options
2017-11-26 20:22:50 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

Kienzlenator wrote

Guest network works just fine under ethernet backhaul.
No, guest network does not work fine with Ethernet backhaul. They do, in fact, not work at all, as stated by TP-Link customer service. See one of my other posts on this forum:

http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?101985-Guest-network-problem-(still...)
Options
2017-11-27 04:30:43 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

Muggost wrote

No, guest network does not work fine with Ethernet backhaul. They do, in fact, not work at all, as stated by TP-Link customer service. See one of my other posts on this forum: http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?101985-Guest-network-problem-(still...)
I can assure you that you are wrong. I have my system on ethernet backhaul and currently have 12 devices connected to my guest network that work just fine. I suspect that either you have yet to update your firmware, or you are a troll that does not actually own the system and are just here to complain. Either way, it seems this system isn't for you so I suggest you return it and buy a different system and leave those of us who happen to enjoy it to use the forums without your negativity.Good day.
Options
2017-11-28 01:11:34 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
As far as I understand, if you wish to use a wired backhaul you end up with TWO networks. As below.

For internet this is fine, but what if I need my phone to connect to a device on my main network. Will the first Deco that's acting as router and NATing allow my phone to talk to my Sonos which is wired?

I guess I could do this :

eg, plug my wired devices into the first TP Link but then I would be double NATing and I suspect that somethings that require a connecting to a device from the internet would not work due to the double NAT, this would create an issue for gaming.

I cannot setup my router in bridge mode as its provided by Sky and it's not got many features.

Many thanks

Steve
Options
2017-11-28 01:20:01 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
I don't know about trolling, maybe it is you that's trolling?Here is what I asked Customer Service:Hi, guest network is not working. I have 6 units connected with Ethernet backhaul through a Tp-link 8 port switch.»Here is what they replied:Thank you very much for your email requesting information about our product.I'm really sorry to tell you that guest network of tplink deco won't work if you connect them with Ethernet backhaul . Only wireless connection between all of the devices will make guest network to work properly~ We are really sorry for the inconvenience caused!The fact is that this system is not very complicated to set up. There's not much you can do wrong. Guest network is not working at our place and we know we're running Ethernet backhaul since the units are separated by 7 floors of reinforced concrete. Since you're so intent on telling me I'm wrong, maybe you can tell me what exactly it is that I'm doing wrong?
Options
2017-12-12 08:26:30 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
I'm curious about Note 1 ( Please note that the main Deco unit will act as an NAT router by default.). Does this mean that Ethernet backhaul does not work/may cause problems in AP mode?
Options