How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

401 Reply
Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with Deco M5
2017-12-17 03:29:54 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
Doesnt work for me either... i set up everything as per the description, then connected it wired in the guesthouse (through two switches). All of a sudden my “router” deco starts rebooting and losses connection to internet, including the TP-Link cloud. It feels like a very immature firmware... and if there is a problem with the 0-subnet, then let us be able to change subnet to e.g. 192.168.1.x..
Options
2017-12-17 03:41:43 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
Doesn’t work for me either.. did the setup as per instructions, went to the guesthouse and connected via wired (and two switches). Then my “router” deco starts rebooting, loosing connection to internet (inc tp cloud),which is kind of ironic... so this needs to be sorted out tp-link... it there are some issues with 192.168.0.x, hen let us be able to change subnets..
Options
2017-12-17 21:14:14 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
I've bought the set of 3 Deco M5 yesterday - with the intention to use ethernet backhaul (my home has a lot of concrete between 3 floors and I've got ethernet cables to each).
After setup of the Deco M3-s in Wireless mash - it all works. But when I hook up a cable to unit 2 (or 3), the unit will show a RED led (I think it is rebooting) before coming online. After one minute or so, the process (reboot) repeats.
- initially, I accidentally had a DHCP server on the network, but that is no longer the case

My setup :

It works with disconnected M5 #2 and #3
When I hook up M5 #2 reboot loop starts.

Deco M5 firmware: latest (1.1.6 build 20171103 rel 47257) on all Deco's
So M5#1 : in router mode
I have tried starting up network with other nodes switched off. It seemed to be stable for a short while.
File:
networktopo.jpgDownload
Options
2017-12-21 03:57:02 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
I have received a reply from consumer care (after mailing the problem) which helped me to diagnose the problem to a compatibility problem with my primary switch.

Dear Adriaan,
Thank you very much for your email requesting information about our product.

Sorry for all the inconvenience caused to you.

As we can see in your network, there are three switches which are connected to the main deco. Would you please do the following test with me?
1. Disconnect all of your switches in the network, connect the Deco#2 to the main one with an Ethernet cable directly and check if the connection is good.
2. If yes, please try to connect one of the switch (called it switch #1)to the Deco#2 and test the connection again.
3. If still works fine, please add another switch(called swicth #2) to the swicth #1 and check if the connection is good.

You can add one device in each step until we find the one which making the system reboot.

Have a nice day.

After having performed these steps (in multiple variations, also with new cables) I have concluded that Deco M5 works is not compatible with Switch#1 D-Link DGS-1008D 8 port unmanaged switch (reboots occur with just 2 Deco M5 notes and this switch connected)
Two different switches (D-Link DGS-1005D and a 5-port switch from SiteCom) could be inserted between Deco M5 nodes without problem. Also connecting my remaining network equipment through a secondary switch worked.

My remaining problem is what switch to use as primary switch (I would need to buy a new switch for this purpose). Also I'm not happy with 'reboot loop as a diagnostic indication'. The firmware stability does not give me confidence.
Options
2017-12-22 22:55:09 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
Solved . I've purchased a new primary switch #1 (a managed one this time: Netgear ProSafe Plus GS108Ev3). This solved my problem. All 3 Deco M5's are now connected with Ethernet Backhaul, Deco #2 and Deco #3 through 2 switches.

I have to say consumer care was very helpful through email. I hope app and firmware will evolve to address missing functionality - also w.r.t. problem diagnostics. Rebooting as an indicator is not what I expect.
Options
2017-12-22 22:58:06 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
Damo01: please try to repeat the diagnostic steps as indicated below in my 2nd post to see where the problem is. The TP-Link Deco M5 does not seem to work with every switch... (although I believe it should). It works well for me now (with a new switch)
Options
2017-12-25 18:12:40 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
I have exactly the same issue.
It's a D-Link DGS-1100-26 managed switch. When I connect 2nd Deco to the D-Link switch, they just keep rebooting.
I replace it with my old Cisco switch, it works fine.
Don't know why.
Options
2017-12-30 05:40:26 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
same here.

i tried multiple options and none work. Only connecting both decos directly.
I've tried connecting both directly to my router ZTE H298. also connecting via a D-Link DGS-1008D swith. I even tried using another router as a switch (TPLink AC1200). No luck either.

I think there is something wrong with this functionality. It's not normal that it's not compatible with so many different network equipments...
Options
2018-01-01 20:15:00 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
Here is the reply from tp-link support. Interesting that the dont post it them self. ”Recently we get some feedback that Deco cannot work properly while connected to some D-Link switches. After a series of tests, we find that it's because some D-Link switches cannot handle and forward the Ethernet II control packet that based of the standard IEEE 1905.1 protocol, which is adopted by Deco to set up a wired network. TP-Link and other brands of switches can forward these packets normally.Regarding this case, it's recommended to replace the D-Link switch with another one for a check. Or contact D-Link support for a solution”I dont buy this answer... so because I have bought a set of deco, i need to replace my other switches just to get the deco to work? As i recall, there was no pre req about this..
Options
2018-01-02 04:12:16 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

Damo01 wrote

Here is the reply from tp-link support. Interesting that the dont post it them self. ”Recently we get some feedback that Deco cannot work properly while connected to some D-Link switches. After a series of tests, we find that it's because some D-Link switches cannot handle and forward the Ethernet II control packet that based of the standard IEEE 1905.1 protocol, which is adopted by Deco to set up a wired network. TP-Link and other brands of switches can forward these packets normally.Regarding this case, it's recommended to replace the D-Link switch with another one for a check. Or contact D-Link support for a solution”I dont buy this answer... so because I have bought a set of deco, i need to replace my other switches just to get the deco to work? As i recall, there was no pre req about this..

Having been in the same situation - I share your frustration. But - since in my job I also cope with interoperability issues caused by one manufacturer - I understand the TP-Link position. Standards are important, and one cannot be held responsible for the failures of other manufacturers. The D-link switch did it's job well for me until recently, but only now I recognize why my previous NAS had issues with jumbo frames (and the same - pretty old switch)

Where I believe TP link should improve:
- diagnostics (and since all Deco's are connected to one account and have IP communication - I believe this should be well achievable)
- a step wise setup for wired backaul from app would be very helpful)
- graceful degradation : if no IEEE1905.1 then... sorry - your infrastructure seems not compatible - ignoring ethernet connection
- I do miss the standard things from web interfaces (DHCP troubleshooting, syslog server,...)
Options