How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

401 Reply
Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with Deco M5
2018-01-29 09:04:33 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

Parrothead wrote

Good morning everyone.

Assuming the Deco has no problems with your switches (as the system seems to be picky about switches), that should work fine. I have my own system using ethernet between the gateway Deco and Deco 2, with Deco 3 connected wirelessly to fill in the gap. (Personally, I'm not using a switch, though.)

Good luck!
Options
2018-01-30 02:12:50 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

Parrothead wrote

Good morning everyone. Was about to order a Google WiFi and came across the Deco5 and wanted to run my configuration by some of the experts here. Based on what I've read, this should work. My only concern are some of my D-link switches (not exact matches to some that have had issues, but still). I'm looking to backhaul the Deco5-2 unit and wifi the Deco5-3 units back to the Deco5-1 router.

Proposed setup:

Comcast cable -> Deco5-1 (router) ---- Basement switch ( D-Link108, 8 port gb unmanaged) ---- Deco5-2 ---- Bonus room switch (D-Link1008G 8 port gb unmanaged)

Deco5-3 (wifi mesh)

From what I can tell, I can daisy chain through the Deco5 1 (comcast in, local network out) and Deco5 2 (local in, local out to 2nd switch). The Deco5 3 unit would be on the 2nd story and connect wireless to the Deco5 1 router.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

The D-Link DGS-1008D H/W Version 1 did not work for me. Your's seems to be a bit newer. You can try the odds... you can swap both switches. Start without switches (i.e. on a table), then add a switch in between. If it stays stable green, I think you'll be good.
I expect only problems with switches in between DecoM5's, not those behind the last DecoM5 unit.
Few alternative options:
- Deco-2 and basement switch can be reversed (disadvantage: some of your devices will go though one more switch)

Good luck
Options
2018-02-05 14:18:52 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
My setup:

ISP Media Convertor / Router in bridge mode
|
D-Link DSR-1000 VPN Router (Harware version A1; Firmware version 2.11B201C_WW)
|
D-Link DGS-1210-52 (Hardware version B2; Firmware version 3.12.B023)
|
Deco M5 Unit x3 (Access point mode, all connected to the switch by LAN cable)

All 3 Deco units seem to be running stable (continuous green light without reboots).
However only 1 unit will show up in the Deco app (Version 1.4.15 on iPhone).
All 3 units will show up when doing a network scan on the local network.

Initial setup was performed by directly connecting the deco units to each other (no switch in between).
At that time the units did all show up in the app. After initial setup the units were moved to their respective locations.

Anything I can do to make all units show up in the app? Keeping in mind that I cannot directly daisy chain the units together and replacing our main switch is also currently not an option.

Another setup of ours (see below) expiriences the exact same problem.

ISP Media Convertor / Router
|
Netgear JGS-524E-200AJS
|
Deco M5 Unit x3 (Access point mode, all connected to the switch by LAN cable)
Options
2018-02-06 02:47:32 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
Our experience has been that only Deco units that can link to each other wirelessly will show up in the app. We have 1 unit that is only connected via wire and cannot be seen in the app. However, any guest system that connects to that unit is able to get out to the Internet without any problems.

So it seems that Ethernet backhaul can route traffic, but if we can't support wired units via the app, we're screwed as far as troubleshooting or upgrading those units in the future.

TP-LINK: We need 100% wired backhaul support along with 100% integration of wired and wirelessly-connected units via the app or the network is unsupportable long-term.
Options
2018-02-06 10:32:47 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

KrisG wrote

Anything I can do to make all units show up in the app?

Just a question, but if you daisy chain two units together behind the switch, do they both show up in the app?
Options
2018-02-07 07:32:12 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
Folluw up to my earlier post.

Turns out that all 3 deco units did show up in the app, but as seperate networks instead of all under 1 network.
Tracing back the steps I took during initial setup this was likely due to an error on my part:

Step 1: Set up first unit by connecting power and LAN to switch
Step 2: Set up second unit by connecting power and LAN to first unit.
Step 3: Move second unit to new location
Step 4 and 5 are repeats of Step 2 and 3 for the third unit.

Immediately after Step 2 the newly added second unit would show up in the network created by the first unit.
However after moving it to a new location it would create its own network in the app. I believe this could be caused by me using a LAN connecting during setup for each individual unit (just like you would do for the first unit).

All 3 units would route traffic, but it was a bit of a pain having to switch networks in the app all the time to check status of each unit.

So I decided to start over by hard resetting all units and then:

Step 1: Set up first unit by connecting power and LAN to VPN router
Step 2: Set up second unit while being right next to first unit. Only connect power this time (no LAN).
Step 3: Move second unit to new location.
Step 4 and 5 are repeats of Step 2 and 3 for third unit.

First and second unit are well within each other's wireless range.
First and third are just barely within each other's wireless range.

All 3 units show up in the app now under the same network.

Currently I'm not exactly sure if the wired backbone is actually being used by the units are not.

Speedtest result running on iPhone X standing next to first unit: Download 128 Mbps and Upload 202 Mbps

Speedtest result running on iPhone X standing next to third unit: Download 140 Mbps and Upload 77.4 Mbps

Will redo setup for our second site and see how it goes there as well.
File:
IMG_0439.jpgDownload
Options
Testing ethernet backbone
2018-02-08 10:48:18 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
Hello again.

I wanted to check if my DECO units where actually using the ethernet backbone connection or not.
In order to do so I monitored traffic for the router ports that the DECO units are connected to.

GRAPH 1: Running speedtest on my phone while connected to Deco M5 Unit 1 that is connected to LAN Port 1 on the router:
A clear peak can be seen in the traffic routed through LAN Port 1.

GRAPH 2: Running speedtest on my phone while connected to Deco M5 Unit 3 that is connected to LAN Port 3 on the router:
A clear peak can be seen in the traffic routed through LAN Port 3.

GRAPH 3: Traffic for LAN Port 2 (connected to DECO unit 2):
No peaks are visible for traffic routed through LAN Port 2 (note that the Y-axis scale is different from the 2 graphs above).

Because there is no peak overlap I do believe that traffic generated by the speedtest is properly routed through the ethernet backbone.
Options
2018-02-10 15:41:32 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
I just read thru the 5 pages and here is my setup
Cable Modem -> Deco -> Old School Unmanaged Network Everywhere 10/100 Hub -> Deco -> The lovely dgs-1008g

Background: My TP-Link AC1200 archer died on me so time to get a new setup and saw this on sale at sams. I work as a tech and figured this would be so simple (HAHA) So anyway after lots of troubleshooting without a call to tp-link and buying this setup because I wanted to specifically ethernet backhaul, I finally switched around the DGS-1008 and the second Deco but the second Deco was still resetting interminently. So I bypassed the old school hub so the ethernet was coming from one deco to the 2nd deco and then going into the DGS-1008 and it is working as it should reliably. My problem is that I still need a basic reliable switch behind the first deco and before the second deco (preferrably an 8 port but could probably squeeze by with a 5 port) and was thinking of this one for $20 off amazon: TP-Link TL-SG1008D
Do you guys have any suggestions or recommendations? Secondly, I have a "Slingbox" sort of in the master bedroom and would like to keep that additional functionality and despite all the port forwarding being set up correctly and ports being opened up, I am unable to connect to it from outside my network. It is a static under the deco, ports are forwarded and have tested it. I believe the problem is stemming because of it being behind deco #2 in the master bedroom. It would be best if I could just have the deco plugged into the switch in the master bedroom as well and willing to replace that D-link switch if it will work, but don't want to buy a couple switches off whomever and it still not work. Thanks for anyones insight on all my technical woes with these Decos...and your suggestions and guidance
File:
SP32-20180210-020646.jpgDownload
SP32-20180210-022200.jpgDownload
Options
2018-02-11 02:57:21 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

robsnyder20 wrote

I just read thru the 5 pages and here is my setupCable Modem -> Deco -> Old School Unmanaged Network Everywhere 10/100 Hub -> Deco -> The lovely dgs-1008g

Background: My TP-Link AC1200 archer died on me so time to get a new setup and saw this on sale at sams. I work as a tech and figured this would be so simple (HAHA) So anyway after lots of troubleshooting without a call to tp-link and buying this setup because I wanted to specifically ethernet backhaul, I finally switched around the DGS-1008 and the second Deco but the second Deco was still resetting interminently. So I bypassed the old school hub so the ethernet was coming from one deco to the 2nd deco and then going into the DGS-1008 and it is working as it should reliably. My problem is that I still need a basic reliable switch behind the first deco and before the second deco (preferrably an 8 port but could probably squeeze by with a 5 port) and was thinking of this one for $20 off amazon: TP-Link TL-SG1008DDo you guys have any suggestions or recommendations? Secondly, I have a "Slingbox" sort of in the master bedroom and would like to keep that additional functionality and despite all the port forwarding being set up correctly and ports being opened up, I am unable to connect to it from outside my network. It is a static under the deco, ports are forwarded and have tested it. I believe the problem is stemming because of it being behind deco #2 in the master bedroom. It would be best if I could just have the deco plugged into the switch in the master bedroom as well and willing to replace that D-link switch if it will work, but don't want to buy a couple switches off whomever and it still not work. Thanks for anyones insight on all my technical woes with these Decos...and your suggestions and guidance
I personally recommend Netgear gigabit switches (the metal ones) either 5 or 8 port. I have three of them on my network and my Deco's love them.
Options
2018-03-26 14:20:24 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

dtnewport wrote

I'm curious about Note 1 ( Please note that the main Deco unit will act as an NAT router by default.).

I have a question on this too. My Telco modem is modem/router.

So I think the setup I want is:

Netgear CG-3100 cable modem / router
-
Ethernet switch (in Modem/Router above)
-
Deco M5 #1 (AP only?)
-
Ethernet cable
-
Deco M5 #2 (AP)
-
WiFi
-
Deco M5 #3 (AP)

So if this is right what are the important steps/sequence in setting up Deco M5 #1 to AP mode - to turn NAT, DHCP etc. off...?

Thanks
Options