How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

401 Reply
Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with Deco M5
2018-10-20 03:49:14 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

Muggost wrote

I don't know about trolling, maybe it is you that's trolling?Here is what I asked Customer Service:Hi, guest network is not working. I have 6 units connected with Ethernet backhaul through a Tp-link 8 port switch.»Here is what they replied:Thank you very much for your email requesting information about our product.I'm really sorry to tell you that guest network of tplink deco won't work if you connect them with Ethernet backhaul . Only wireless connection between all of the devices will make guest network to work properly~ We are really sorry for the inconvenience caused!The fact is that this system is not very complicated to set up. There's not much you can do wrong. Guest network is not working at our place and we know we're running Ethernet backhaul since the units are separated by 7 floors of reinforced concrete. Since you're so intent on telling me I'm wrong, maybe you can tell me what exactly it is that I'm doing wrong?

I can confirm this is an issue:
WAN<->Deco/Router<->UTP<->Deco2<->UTP<->SWITCH<->UTP<->Deco3

Ethernet backhaul worked when swapping my switches (had a Sitecom switch -> decimated my download to 10 mbps instead of 200 mbps) but enabling the guest network broke my wired ethernet backhaul and only the Deco/Router/Main device works thus I had bad reception at my attic.

So 2 things are important to understand with the Deco M5:

- don't use D-link and Sitecom switches, use something like TP-Link or Ubuiqiti as a switch, if you have issues with ethernet backhaul this is the first thing to test/swap
- guest network disables the ethernet backhaul and falls back to wireless backhaul (as confirmed by TP link) this *still* happens with firmware: 1.2.3 Build 20180819 Rel. 68100
Options
2018-10-20 07:47:34 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

Spyd wrote

I have the 3 units Deco m5 router pack, and while I had some trouble making it work at first, now that it's working, I'm very happy with it... except that I can't use backhaul.I have the suspicion that it's because I'm using the Deco on AP mode, something I suspect very few people does use, as it wasn't even a feature until a firmware update added it.The situation is the following: I have three decos in a straight line, with one of the ends working as the main one. If I only have the main one connected with an Ethernet cable (to my ISP's router), everything works well, except for the speed that it's not ideal (I have symmetric 600Mpbs Internet connection and a Gigabit NAS, and using the Decos as repeaters and APs slows the speed a lot).The problem arises when I plug an Ethernet cable to the middle Deco; I connect the cable with the Deco turned on and it's light solid green, then the light turns solid red for a second, and then back to solid green, something that it's supposed to tell you that everything is working; except that the wifi does not: the wifi clients show that they're still connected and with good signal strenght, but there's no Internet and the Deco app gets stuck trying to connect to the Decos.If I try to Ping the middle Deco from a Ethernet connected computer while it has the Ethernet cable plugged in, fails about 1 of every 4 pings. If I unplug the Ethernet cable from the Deco, everything works well again (after a minute or so), and when I ping the middle Deco, all pings work ok.I'm using the lastest firmware version (1.2.3 Build 20180819 Rel. 68100) on all three Decos.
I have my three Deco's in AP mode and they work fine in with ethernet backhaul. This is the only system I have found that will support mesh while in AP mode.
Options
2018-10-22 15:16:19 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

Bradan wrote

Hi Spyd
I have exactly the same problem as you - have you found any solution?

Not found any solution.
Also, calling the support line is useless (in Spain at least), they don't even know what backhaul is. Also infuriating is the "but it works, you have wifi?". I didn't pay the small fortune this costs (compared to normal APs) to just have "working" wifi, I want it to be fast.
I didn't try again since I posted, but nothing has changed (I'm waiting for a firmware update to try again).
Options
2018-10-22 15:18:20 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

Kienzlenator wrote

I have my three Deco's in AP mode and they work fine in with ethernet backhaul. This is the only system I have found that will support mesh while in AP mode.

Please, if you recall, tell me how did you do it.
Thank you.
Options
2018-10-22 15:30:44 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

Kienzlenator wrote

Same here. We have deployed the Deco M5 system in a couple of locations using wired backhaul and AP mode. All working fine. My setup process goes as follows:
[*]1. Hook-up Deco M5 unit 1 to power and ethernet and go through the setup process in the app. At the end of the setup choose to add another Deco M5 unit.
[*]2. Hook-up Deco M5 unit 2 to power and place it close to unit 1 (I usually will have all units sitting on a desk next to each other during this part of the setup) and go through the setup process. At the end again choose to add another Deco M5 unit.
[*]3. Hook-up Deco M5 unit 3 to power and place it close to the other units. Go through the setup process and add the end choose the "I'm done for now" option.
[*]4. Switch to the new Wi-Fi network that I created during the setup process.
[*]5. Update Deco M5 firmware to latest version.
[*]6. Switch from Router mode to Access Point mode.
[*]7. Install the Deco units at the location where they will be used hooking them up to wired LAN and power. For our setups all wired LAN cables will usually connect to a central switch in the building (we don't directly hook-up the M5 units to one another without going through another switch).
Options
2018-12-17 15:38:51 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

I just upgraded my internet program to 600MB but my old 5GHz router didn't have enough so I picked up a set of Deco M4 (2 unit).

But even I tried to use ethernet cable to connect between 2 Deco, the speed didn't look quite good with only 70MB down / 30MB up. and every review I saw just incomplete sometime even feels rushed.

Hoping someone also met a similar problem before

1. How do I check if Ethernet Backhaul is working or not?

2. I currently have a Modem / Router combo from my ISP, should I setup my Deco in Router mode or AP mode?

3. Did Deco have a web domain control panel? or just Deco mobile app.

This is my current setup : 

ISP modem / router combo (w/ wifi built in)(but I turned off)

| (ethernet cable)

Deco M4 (unit 1)

| (wireless)

Deco M4 (unit 2)

P.S. Deco currently setup as router mode, and I use wifi most of the time, rarely use cable

Options
Re:Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with Deco M5
2018-12-21 02:07:36 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

I have the Deco M5 3 pack running well in AP mode with a Gig switch. Latest firmware.

What I have found is that the main unit must be the first one turned on after upgrading and switching to AP mode (well there really is no other way...)

Second unit is plugged into the same switch, powered on. Wait a few moments, it will operate with ethernet backhaul to the main unit and internet.

At this point I asked myself about redundancy. If the main unit were to go offline, it would kill the entire setup. I have proven that by 

adding the third unit, same thing, wired back to the switch. Again, success.

After a few minutes I removed the ethernet cable from the main unit.

The system went dead. The other units did not "take over" and continue to function.

So two things come to mind, all Deco traffic makes it back to the switch and routed to the modem only if the "control" deco is online and able to monitor / access the other units (Basically your APP gateway), but on the other hand, what if all traffic is making it back to the switch, into the Main Deco and back out as routed. Meaning the Deco itself is a switch in some regards, but also being a bit of a bottle neck, hence, the more Deco's you have, you run the potential of choking your system with all the traffic going through the single device.

I tend to think this is not the case, because in AP mode each Deco is assigned it's own IP and the routing table defines your modem as your Default gateway, but then why would killing the main Deco stop all the others from working?

And one other thing, has anyone been able to have a split AP mode setup, like two units on wired backhaul, one unit wireless? I have not been able to get that to funciton where wiring is not possible.

TickingMind

Options
Re:Re:Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with Deco M5
2018-12-21 08:39:15 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

Hi TickingMind,

1. It may take some time for Deco to adjust the network. When you unplug the main unit from the switch, please give it minutes and the system will recover automatically.

Will optimize its performance in this case in future updates.

2. "Two units on wired backhaul and one unit wireless", it's been verified working.

As for your side, please make sure the wireless unit is within the Wi-Fi range of any of the wired units.

Options
Re:Can Recommend me smart switch that work with Deco Ethernet Back-haul?
2018-12-30 12:11:04 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
Hello, I experience the exact same problem. No way to make Deco work with a D-Link Ethernet giga switch. I'm waiting for TP-Link customer support feedback. Ethernet backhaul work ok when Deco are connected directly with an ethernet cable or with my old router in bridge mode. No way to make it work with the switch. Have you find a workaround ?
Options
Re:Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with Deco M5
2018-12-30 12:16:18 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
Hello, Your set-up is very similar to mine. In my case it doesn't work probably because i'm using a D-Link switch. When i'm using my old router as a switch it work ok.
Options