How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

401 Reply
Re:Re:Re:Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices
2019-07-01 23:31:04 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

So, thank you for the answer.

I probably wasn`t clear enoufh. Now I notice. Sorry.

The main point is, I will have a Router from the ISP, which will be directly connected to a TP Link Switch sending internet connection to everything conneted in this Switch.

My intention is to have all the 3 Decos connected to the switch only, not to the router.

So, it would be:

ISP Router <> TP Link Switch <> Decos 1, 2 and 3 (each one in one port of the Switch).

Would this work in access point and also Ethernet Backhaul? I can olny get answerf from TP Link SAC using the Deco 1 as a Router, which I don`t want to do in order to keep everythin in the same LAN.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices
2019-07-01 23:59:21 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

speduardo88 wrote

The main point is, I will have a Router from the ISP, which will be directly connected to a TP Link Switch sending internet connection to everything conneted in this Switch.

My intention is to have all the 3 Decos connected to the switch only, not to the router.

So, it would be:

ISP Router <> TP Link Switch <> Decos 1, 2 and 3 (each one in one port of the Switch).

Would this work in access point and also Ethernet Backhaul? I can olny get answerf from TP Link SAC using the Deco 1 as a Router, which I don`t want to do in order to keep everythin in the same LAN.

Yes, that will work fine. I am doing precisely that with an Ubiquiti router and Netgear switches.

In AP mode, you're not using the Deco's security features and you aren't trying to isolate your LAN from the Deco's WAN interface (since there is no Deco WAN interface in AP mode), so you just plug everything into your LAN and you're golden. You might have to set the first unit up as a router initially, but it can sit behind your existing router for that. Once you've updated the firmware, you can switch to AP mode and then add the other units, one by one.

I learned the hard way that AP mode is not at all complicated to set up. I had built a separate VLAN for Ethernet backhaul, with the understanding that Ethernet backhaul had to go through an upstream Deco. When that didn't work, I came back to this thread to try to figure out why. Only then did I see how much more difficult I had made things for myself:

Frequent Ask Questions (Updated on Mar 26th )

Q1: Can I connect all the Deco units directly to my home modem/router?

* In Router mode

Only the main Deco could be connected to your home modem/router. Other slave Deco units should be connected behind the main one, just as the Star Network shows. If not, they may be in a loop and cause unexpected dropout issues.

* In Access Point mode

You can connect all the Deco units directly to your home modem/router/switch as you want. The system will work as expected.

Options
2019-07-02 00:08:37 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

speduardo88 wrote

So, it would be:

You are looking to setup something very similar to mine, going back to your question , I'm afarid the answer is no! (check the reason in my response to Adonis)

in concept , everything will be on the same LAN (subnet)

Here is what you'll be looking:

ISP Router <> (Port#1) Deco-1 (Port#2) <> TP-Link Switch<> Deco-2 &3 

You need to configure DHCP on the ISP , Decos in AP mode (meaning Deco-1 will be bridging) the traffic,

All clients will be on the same LAN prefix.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices
2019-07-02 00:23:48 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

SamyKn wrote

speduardo88 wrote

So, it would be:

You are looking to setup something very similar to mine, going back to your question , I'm afarid the answer is no! (check the reason in my response to Adonis)

in concept , everything will be on the same LAN (subnet)

Here is what you'll be looking:

ISP Router <> (Port#1) Deco-1 (Port#2) <> TP-Link Switch<> Deco-2 &3 

You need to configure DHCP on the ISP , Decos in AP mode (meaning Deco-1 will be bridging) the traffic,

All clients will be on the same LAN prefix.

Once you change to AP mode, all of the routing and security features of the Deco go away. The main Deco's 2 ports no longer belong to separate broadcast domains in this scenario, so there's no reason to position it in the network as if it were a router.

Options
Re:Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices
2019-07-02 08:02:45 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

There is no problem with your current network structure. It could work as expected.

speduardo88 wrote

Hi, I have a set of Three Deco M5 and need to understand the best structure to work as access point and Ethernet Back Haul.

The proposed structure is:

ONT+Router (Internet Provider) >  Main Deco M5 > TP Link Switch > Deco M5 2 and Deco M5 3

Is there any other way that the newtwork would work better?

Unfortunately, my Internet and TV provider won't allow the V'Lans to be used directly at Deco M5, putting their router in Bridge mode.

Thanks

Options
2019-07-02 08:17:29 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

@Adonis 

Maybe you need to divide the network into two VLANs through the switch.
In this case, you can set up two Deco networks connected to the two ISP routers separately through the switch with the VLAN settings. 

Options
Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices
2019-07-05 11:04:44 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

I have wired 2 Decos in AP mode to a switch , i should be able to see arp for both Decos MACs , right?

Router <>  Switch<> Deco1

|____<> Powerline(A) <>  Powerline(B) <> Deco 2

At the moment i only see the main Deco's MAC and it's IP which it received from DHCP.

Does it it mean wired backhaul is not working if only one MAC is in the arp table/DHCP list?!!

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices
2019-07-06 01:27:43 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

TP-Link Deco wrote

@Adonis 

Maybe you need to divide the network into two VLANs through the switch.
In this case, you can set up two Deco networks connected to the two ISP routers separately through the switch with the VLAN settings. 

Options
Re:Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices
2019-07-10 03:28:25 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

@SamyKn What's the LED status on the other Deco unit which is not listed in the arp table? Try to connect a PC to the Ethernet port of the remote unit, then try to ping your router.

After that, check if it will be listed in DHCP list.

Options
Re:Re:Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices
2019-07-10 13:37:16 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

TP-Link Deco wrote

@SamyKn What's the LED status on the other Deco unit which is not listed in the arp table? Try to connect a PC to the Ethernet port of the remote unit, then try to ping your router.

After that, check if it will be listed in DHCP list.

Hi Mate,

LED status on the remote unit is green , connecting via powerline (wired backhaul) to main deco (all in AP mode).

I connected a PC to the second port of remote unit (1st port is connected to Powerline wired backhaul to main deco) , pinged the router from the PC.

Check my router arp/mac-address table , remote deco mac-address appeared on the table as you suggested!

Is there any reason for this behavior from technical perspective?

Options