Cables Fall out (AV2000)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Cables Fall out (AV2000)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Cables Fall out (AV2000)
Cables Fall out (AV2000)
2019-12-16 20:26:04
Model: TL-PA9020P KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I just bought the TL-PA9020P KIT (AV2000) and have noticed that the ethernet cables will not snap into the connectors properly. This happens with both ports of both units and happens with the supplied cables and other cables. The devices WORK, but the cables will fall out if they are jostled a bit by moving other cables or whatever. Is this a known problem? How do I resolve it, the cables should snap in only to be released by pressing the tab on the rj45 connector...

Thanks.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Cables Fall out (AV2000)
2019-12-17 07:14:19

@Deuce_D 

Please ensure that the ethernet cable is not broken, especially the head of the RJ45 cable. Otherwise, it will fall out easily. 

Try to change another ethernet cable to give it a go. 

Good day. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2019-12-17 17:23:45 - last edited 2019-12-17 17:24:11

@Kevin_Z

It happens with all cables, they are not broken. I did figure it out yesterday though, there is a major design flaw. There are two halves (clamshells) which come together to form the unit. The half which does not have the RJ45 connection is not notched and partially blocks the tab from the connector from fully clipping into the port. If the cable is pulled on an angle towards the tab it pops out as the tab is pressed into the edge of the plastic clamshell. If it's pulled on an angle away from the tab then it does not pop out.

This could be avoided by having installed the RJ45 port at 180deg so the tab portion is away from the other clamshell OR the clamshell be desigened with a notch as to not interfere with the tab and operation of the port.

I really don't see how this design flaw could pass though the processes of a major hardware vendor such as TP-Link. It's honesly like designing a car where the tires rub on the frame when you turn right. Sure it "works" but it's bad and should never happen. 

Interesetingly the photo below is NOT how mine is, my RJ45 port is 180deg from the photo and so has the problem I mention. Also mine has no metal in the ports it's all plastic. Has TP-Link has made the design cheaper and it's now causing problems?

Options
2019-12-19 06:42:13

@Deuce_D 

Thanks for your reply. Please take a picture of the back label on the actual device.

There we can get the MAC address, serial number and hardware version.

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-06-04 11:26:13
I've just bought an 8080p with the very same problem - all 3 ports affected by same design floor. Did you send them back or just live with it?
Options
2021-06-05 17:57:23

@TheBood 

I just live with it. Since the units are behind a TV it's not a huge deal as it's not touched/disturbed. I bought another set 6 months ago and it does not have this design flaw. It's just plastic, so if you really wanted to you could melt or cut out that bit of blockage to 'fix' the issue, but I doubt you'd need to worry about it.

Options
2021-06-09 03:04:34 - last edited 2021-06-09 03:04:52

@TheBood Hello, 

You could test for a few days, if the Ethernet ports affects the actual usage , you may exchange one with the retailer within return window, hope this could help~

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 647

Replies: 6

Related Articles