Parental control limitations not applied to clients on the guest network?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-10 08:44:18
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.3

This week, my youngest daughter confessed that she occasionally circumvents the parental control limitations by connecting to our guest network. A quick test seems to indicate that parental control settings are indeed not applied when the same client connects to the guest network instead of the regular wifi.

Can anyone confirm that this is the case? Any solutions that allow me to keep using the guest network while also setting a a "bed time" for some client devices?

I'm using a Deco M5 as the main unit, and three M4Rs throughout the house.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Parental control limitations not applied to clients on the guest network?
2021-07-12 08:14:05

@roytanck 

Hi, the parental control rules take effect on both host clients and guest clients;

For your issue, I think it might due to the change of the MAC address;

The same device will use different MAC addresses when connecting to the host network and guest network;

Due to the concern of the security, both Apple devices, and Android , Windows devices have applied for the random/private MAC address feature;

Options
2021-07-17 10:37:25
Thank you, this makes perfect sense. I assume the random MAC is persistent for a given wifi network? So I should simply add my kid's phone to her profile when she is connected to the guest network? Her phone will then be listed twice, using both MAC addresses, so limitations are applied in both cases?
Options
2021-07-19 11:04:17

@roytanck 

Since it generates a random MAC address, so there would be a third even fourth one;

So the best way is to turn off the private message feature on the device;

And it would also help us check whether it is the private MAC address that caused this issue;

Thank you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1187

Replies: 3

Related Articles