Access Point reporting no internet but working fine

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-15 19:06:31 - last edited 2022-01-15 19:11:21
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.7

I recently made some network changes and moved by Deco M5 units into access point mode.  Everything seems to be working fine with the new configuration but the Deco's are reporting they have no internet access, even though all the wireless clients access the internet just fine.  I suspect that the new router is blocking some specific traffic that the Decos are using to test their internet connectivity.  

Here's my network config:

<ISP Modem> --- <Mikrotik Router> ---- <Deco M5> ---- <switch> --- <Other Deco M5s>    

|

I --- <switch> ---- <wired clients>

Yes, I'm using ethernet backhaul

As I said, everything was working just fine when the M5s were running in router mode.  The clients that are wirelessly connecting to the M5s can browse the internet without any problem so the problem just seems to be that the M5 "think" they can't get to the internet when in actuality they can.

The Mikrotik router is serving up addresses via DHCP and is setting the DNS server to be itself.  I've tried having to server up 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 as the DNS servers for the DHCP clients but that had no affect.  I've rebooted the M5s several times and also tried switching them back to router mode (and then back again) to no avail.  

Thoughts?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Access Point reporting no internet but working fine
2022-01-19 05:48:02

@OnTheHill 

Thank you very much for the feedback.

I would like to follow up on your case by email and please check whether you could get an email from me.

At the same time, could you please help me check the following information:

1. Would the LED on Deco turn red when Deco APP said "no internet"?

---The LED would be solid red all the time or just randomly turn red?

---If randomly, How about the frequency?

2. What is the exact model number of the Mikrotik Router?

3. May I know who is your internet service provider?

Options
2022-01-19 18:19:46

@TP-Link It looks like I might have resolved the issue.  There appeared to be an issue with the subnet mask being handed out by the DHCP server.  After resolving that issue, the M5s have turned green.  What's odd is the issue only seem to impact some of the devices on the network. 

Options
2022-01-20 08:42:20

@OnTheHill 

Hi, thank you getting back to me and I am glad to know that you have located the problem to me.

Actually I did not quite understand “There appeared to be an issue with the subnet mask being handed out by the DHCP server”.

Would you mind spending some time and explaining to me, which would be highly appreciated.

And I only saw you mentioned before Deco was affected. What are the other affected devices?

Thank you again.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 372

Replies: 3

Related Articles