RE300 & AX20 OneMesh Not Connecting Clients

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-31 17:33:51
Model: RE300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.8 Build 20211126 Rel. 67847

I have an Archer AX20 (V1 Firmware 1.3.5 Build 20211231 rel.53949(5553)) and an RE300 (V1 Firmware 1.0.8 Build 20211126 Rel. 67847).

I have recently noticed that there are no clients connected to the RE300 when setup in OneMesh mode. I did a full factory reset on the RE300 and reset the OneMesh network, which worked fine, but no clients will connect to that device. I have tested with the RE300 in its spot and connected to my network while physically being right beside it and my device only shows up in the AX20 client list. Signal strength from my device seems to indicate that it is indeed on the AX20 and not the RE300 that it is right beside.

I have since disconnected the OneMesh and set the RE300 up as a normal extender. Clients are able to connect directly and the device seems to be working fine.

This is a recent issue, but unfortunately I do not know when this started happening. My wife has started a new job and her new laptop was having connection issues which led me to seeing that the RE300 had no clients connected to it.

Any thoughts as to what to try?

I have not tried a factory reset on the AX20 yet.

Options
5 Reply
Re:RE300 & AX20 OneMesh Not Connecting Clients
2022-02-15 12:46:59 - last edited 2022-02-15 12:52:02

Hello @Mullwell 

Thank you for your feedback.

It is possible that Router's Wi-Fi signal is pretty strong for the Wi-Fi client devices, so the devices are inclined to connect to router Wi-Fi. 

• Try to reboot the Wi-Fi router and range extender and see if some device will switch to the range extender's Wi-Fi network? 

Can I know what are the model of the devices which is closer to RE but still connect to router's Wi-Fi network? 

• If device is just beside the range extender, please check router Wi-Fi signal strength at that point. Try to download Wi-Fi analyzer/inSSIDer app and scan for the signal strength/ RSSI at that location. 

In a roaming process, usually when Wi-Fi signal becomes weaker on a Wi-Fi device client and triggers it roaming threadhold, device will try to switch to a different AP and scan for the SSIDs.  OneMesh based on 802.11k/v will provide roaming suggestion for Wi-Fi client device ( need to support the same standard) when a client device roam to a different AP to realize seamless roaming experience, that means OneMesh help client select better AP/ SSID and roam faster but client itself start the roaming process first.  

Options
2022-02-16 17:12:31

@Solla-topee 

When I was in OneMesh mode I was checking the dBm signal stregth with WifiAnalyser on Android. When beside the extender I was getting -20-25dBm with the main router at -55-60dBm. I would reset the WiFi on the Android device and it would connect to the network, but the device would only show up in the main routers client list, not the extender. When I was testing no devices (Pixel 6, Pixel 2, Nexus 4, Galaxy Tab, Brother Printer, and two Windows 10 devices) would show in the extender list regardless of how physically close it was to the extender itself. It seemed that no devices would connect to the extender when in OneMesh mode.

It is currently set in extender mode so that my spouse is able to connect and work, so I am unable to reboot at this time.

Options
2022-02-21 11:13:56 - last edited 2022-02-21 11:17:53

Hello  @Mullwell 

Roaming decision is made by the mobile device itself,  It is possible the Wi-Fi signal does not meet the roaming threshold of the client device, for example, IOS device roaming threshold is -70dBm.You could try to check if mobile devices has related settings to change roaming threshold or sensitivity, here is related QA:  

Q11. Why the Wi-Fi device is not always connected to AP with the strongest Wi-Fi signal or nearest AP in a OneMesh network?

Several questions about the OneMesh™ and Mesh

Options
2022-02-24 18:14:02

@Solla-topee 

Hi,

The main issue is that OneMesh did work in the past but has recently stopped allowing clients to connect. There were no changes to devices until my spouse started a new job and her new laptop was having connectivity issues. After digging into it I noticed that the RE300 in OneMesh mode had no clients, everything was connecting to the AX20 only.

I looked into Wifi Roaming, but the option to change that setting appears to be removed on Android 12. I'm also hesitant to make a change like this on our laptops as we did not have any connectivity issues until recently.

From my spouses home office setup the main AX20 is at -65-70dBm while the RE300 (in extender mode) is at -40dBm. Again, the RE300 is working fine in extender mode with her laptop connected directly to it. It is just when set into OneMesh mode that it does not allow any connections and all devices connect to the AX20 only, regardless of signal strength.

I've set both devices for auto firmware updates, is it possible something changed in an update? Would it be worthwhile doing a factory reset on the AX20, I have not tried that yet.

Options
2022-03-01 07:24:43

Hello @Mullwell 

Thank you more case details, I escalated you case through support email TKID220227600, our senior will help look into that further. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1607

Replies: 5

Related Articles