Poor wifi speed from TL-WR840N router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-01 16:29:44
Model: TL-WR840N  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 4.17 v0001.0 Build 201124 Rel.64328n

Hi,

I have a FTTH connection which runs at 100Mbps .  When I connect my laptop to my fibre router via an ethernet cable I get my full 100Mbps (in fact it goes at 200Mbps). I have bought the TL-WR840N wifi router which I have connected with the ethernet cable that came with it to my fiber ONT . I have connected my iphone xR to the wifi network and ran a speed test standing right next to the router and I am only getting between 50 and 65 Mbps .  The router is advertised as 300Mbps over wifi so what is the problem?  The signal also seems to degrade quite quickler the further I move away from the router. 

Any suggestions ?

Thank you

Chris

Options
2 Reply
Re:Poor wifi speed from TL-WR840N router
2022-06-06 11:47:40

@ChrisGSA 

Hello Chris, thank you for posting on the TP-Link Community.

Can I confirm what is the speed you can get when you connect the laptop to the WR840N? What is the speed you can get if you connect to the wireless network on this laptop? How about the wireless link speed on it? You can follow this guide to check the link speed:

How to check the associated/link speed on a wireless client

Meanwhile, 300Mbps is the maximum wireless link speed the router can provide, while different wireless clients will negotiate different link speeds with the wireless router, based on the wireless modes, distance, and noise level (the level of interference from other wireless transmissions). Please check this article to know more details about the link speed.

You can also check this story shared by one of the community users, TomHunt, to understand better if the wireless speed is normal.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Poor wifi speed from TL-WR840N router
2022-06-25 02:37:43

@ChrisGSA Well, your problem started the moment you decided to use the TL-WR480N to make your FTTH connection available wirelessly. 

See, this device has a 10/100 WAN port. You read that right. Yes, in 2022. So for all of your devices connected wired/wirelessly that rely on tplink's solution, they'll suffer from this bottleneck.

And unless there is a way to connect this device straight to your ISP (which probably won't be possible because it's a FTTH connector), you're left with the only option to ditch it and replace with another solution that actually does deliver a fast and reliable experience. In other words, look for other brands' offerings. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1597

Replies: 2

Related Articles