Access router's USB Storage Device via OpenVPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-01 09:30:45 - last edited 2022-07-20 09:34:30
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20220428 rel.64552(4555)

Hi there,

I have set up my router with a USB storage device - an external HDD. I can connect to it from the local network via both Samba and FTP connections. I could also set up the OpenVPN connection to my home network. However, when connecting via OpenVPN, I can only access the storage device via FTP; I can't make it work via SMB. Is there any setting in my Windows 10 system, or OpenVPN config file, or the router port forwarding that would allow the SMB access via VPN connection?

I don't know if it is related to the problem, but the assigned Dynamic DNS address doesn't work. However, I guess that's on the side of the ISP. 

Options
5 Reply
Re:Access router's USB Storage Device via OpenVPN
2022-07-01 18:09:23

@mormegil 

Hi,

Does the VPN connection to your AX55 work flawlessly otherwise?

There should be no special settings needed to access the USB drive via SMB through the VPN tunnel. This works fine on my TP-Link router (an AX50).

In case you have been using "tplinkwifi.net" as the address, then maybe try the actual LAN IP address instead. (i.e. in Window's File Explorer type "\\192.168.0.1" or whatever you have changed it to manually)

Options
2022-07-02 11:19:20

@woozle I would say the VPN connection works flawlessly otherwise, however I didn't check it extensively. I only checked if I can connect to the network and manage my router, and it worked just fine. Today I plan on setting up a Raspberry Pi device, so I'll check if I can access it via VPN connection.

I am using the Network/Media Server Name, which I set to "tp-server". I tried typing into the address bar of Windows Explorer "\\tp-server\", "\\192.168.1.1\" or with port 445 (which I believe is the default port of SMB protocol). When I'm in the local network, I can access the drive in both ways; when I'm away and connecting via OpenVPN, I can't. Only the FTP connection works via the VPN.

Options
2022-07-02 12:52:13

@mormegil 

Then it seems someone from TP-Link support will have to look into this.

Options
2022-07-05 10:26:43

Thank you @woozle for the suggestions on helping locate the USB sharing issue.

@mormegil I'm also running out of solutions on where to locate the exact issue, I would like to escalate the case to our support engineers, who will confirm if there is an issue and suggest further. They will contact you via your registered email address later. Please pay attention to your email box for follow-up. Thank you.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-07-05 10:36:06

@Kevin_Z Thank you, this is much appreciated!

Options