When will the Deco P9 get new firmware? How can we force powerline backhaul over weak WiFi signal?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

When will the Deco P9 get new firmware? How can we force powerline backhaul over weak WiFi signal?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-15 15:47:07 - last edited 2023-10-12 10:23:35
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.3

I have been very frustrated with the experience of using these for clients. They are billed as AC1200+AV1000 Hybrid devices, and "adds a third lane for data to travel through, similar to a Tri-band mesh router, to create stronger connections between Deco units and increase the network's overall performance, eliminating signal interference from walls and other objects."

In practice, however, these devices seem to prioritize connecting via WiFi over the Powerline backhaul, resulting in very spotty performance in installations where the units are far enough away to get a weak WiFi signal but not far enough away to get no WiFi signal. And there doesn't appear to be any way to force units to use Powerline at all times and stop trying to mesh together with WiFi.

Additionally, it has been almost TWO years since the last firmware update, which seems extremely unacceptable given the fact you are still ostensibly selling and supporting this unit.

Finally, while it is billed as an AV1000 device, it cannot be used with existing TP-Link AV1000 powerline adapters, which is a huge oversight and may border on false advertising. There are still zero Deco-compatible powerline-only adapters on the market, which means extending the network to devices that don't need WiFi over powerline isn't an option without investing in entirely separate device ecosystems.

You could have an absolutely killer product on your hand here but the choices that have been made as far as signal type prioritization, features, and interoperability are making me consider replacing these for all the clients for whom they're failing to perform reliably.

Options
1 Reply
Re:When will the Deco P9 get new firmware? How can we force powerline backhaul over weak WiFi signal?
2022-08-16 08:07:19

@ctsinc 

Hi, Since the technical support will not be informed ahead of further plans either, I am sorry there has been no answer about the release date of Deco P9.

And Normally the firmware would be updated every Friday if there is one and it is suggested to check the official websites occasionally.

For your current issue, it is suggested to install the following firmware to see whether it could improve the speed issue:

Deco P9-V2-build 20210113

Please let me know whether it is working or not.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options