[Solved] Deco M9 Plus slow internet, despite fast ethernet backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-04 07:26:38 - last edited 2022-11-07 01:53:02
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Deco_M9_V2_1.6.0_220823

Good morning,

I've been a user for the Deco M9 Plus (hardware version v2) set of 3 for a few years now.
I've recently upgraded my wired connections and the Deco's now have an ethernet backhaul of 1Gbit/s.
I can connect a device to any of the three Deco's with an ethernet cable, speedtest gives me 1Gbit/s.

However, a wireless test with a laptop/phone, even right next to the device, gives me between 180-250mbit/s.

There are no other electrical devices near the Deco's which can interfere.
The laptop and phone are both connected with 5GHz, but I have tried switching to 2.4GHz in de Deco app, doesn't make much of a difference.
I am running the 1.6.0 beta (https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/574954).

I am running the Deco's in AP mode.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

[SOLVED] Turns out the low speeds were due to a local vpn to block ads (Adguard - great product, but not for speedtests :P)

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus slow internet, despite fast ethernet backhaul
2022-11-04 13:46:19 - last edited 2022-11-04 13:48:30

@naenee 

I am getting up to 630Mbps on my Deco M9 plus, with average speeds about 350-450Mbps. 

Your situation is quite puzzling. To see if I can help you with that, I'll need you to tell me the following:

1. What were your speed test results from Main and Satellite Decos when they had wireless backhaul?

2. Have you done speed tests before you applied beta firmware 1.6 to your Deco M9 Plus?

3. Disconnect Satellite Decos from Ethernet cable and re-run speed tests to see what are the speed test results from Main and Satellite Decos now, without Ethernet backhaul.

Options
Re:Deco M9 Plus slow internet, despite fast ethernet backhaul
2022-11-04 15:52:17

@Alexandre. 

Thank you for your reply.

Without ethernet backhaul I had the same results. Using ethernet backhaul was an attempt to make it go faster.

I have had higher speeds in the past, 500+mbps that I remember, but I have no log of those tests anymore.

Ok. To test I got the AP from upstairs, connected it without ethernet downstairs away from electrical devices / metal doorposts, etc, set my phone to have that AP as its connection preference, turned off mesh (just in case), and did two speedtests. One got 201 down, 113 up, the second test 180 down / 160 up.

Options
[SOLVED] Deco M9 Plus slow internet, despite fast ethernet backhaul
2022-11-04 16:37:56

Okay, figured it out, silly of me.

I overlooked that I have a local adblocking VPN running on my android phone (Adguard). After disabling it, I get 610mbps down and 400mbps up, that'll do.

I'll edit the subject as solved :) Have a nice evening.

Options