Deco X50 backhaul problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-10 06:13:07 - last edited 2023-10-12 10:19:20
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 Build 20230113 Rel. 54525

Hi,

I have four Deco X50 Mesh Wifi routers in Access Point mode connected to the ISP's router which gives DHCP. Decos are quite far from each other in a two story house. When I did the installation it was ok, connected via ethernet backaul. After a couple weeks it became unstable and one of the AP's looses ethernet connection and connects via wifi to other Decos. Since the lack of ethernet backaul the whole mesh became pretty unstable because of the distance of the mesh devices. When I reboot the mesh which lost ethernet backhaul it connects back on ethernet however other mesh device looses the ethernet backhaul and start to communicate via wifi. 

I attach a picture. When I reboot the Mesh called "Lilla fszt" then Mesh called "Balint" starts to use wifi with poor signal. What is the problem, why can't they communicate via ethernet?? I try to paste logfile on the bottom of the thread.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco X50 backhaul problem-Solution
2023-04-17 11:58:51 - last edited 2023-04-19 02:59:58

@David-TP 

Hi,

Problem has been sorted out, I've inserted a Deco M5 as main deco in the basement, connected directly to the ISP's modem and set it up in Wifi Router mode. Now, all the 4x X50 Deco are connecting via ethernet backhaul.

Cheers,

Csaba

Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:Deco X50 backhaul problem
2023-04-10 17:09:21 - last edited 2023-04-10 17:09:40

@BaCsaba 

Your Deco X50s, are they connected to each other the following way:

Options
2023-04-10 17:24:05

@BaCsaba Hi Alexandre,

No, they are all connected via TP-Link TL-SG1024D switch. All the four Mesh devices are connected to the first four ports. Since they are in AP mode, I suppose this setup is fine.

"When the Deco is set to work under Access Point mode, you can wire satellite Deco to any Deco unit or the main modem/router."

Options
2023-04-10 18:26:30

@BaCsaba 

I am familar with the symptoms you describe and they can be triggered under specific circumstances, but for that Main Deco must be connected to ISP modem/router, not through the switch.

Perhaps, there is different network layout which still makes that possible. Instead of me guessing what you have, please share network diagram. 

Options
2023-04-10 18:52:37

@Alexandre. 

I check the connections on Thursday (I am on vacation) but as far as I remember all the four Decos are connected to the switch as well as the ISP Modem. If I am right, I will re-design the network like this:

ISP MODEM -> MAIN DECO -> Switch -> Deco 2

-> Deco 3

-> Deco 4

I am suprised that it matters in AP mode but if it's mandatory to setup like this I can accept it.

Regards,

Csaba

Options
2023-04-10 18:59:20

@BaCsaba 

Please double check.

Here is the thing. If you have network diagram similar to this, I  have good explanation of where the issue is and how to troubleshoot it:

The problem will be between switch and Main Deco: the Ethernet link between them is broken. All symptoms match.

-----------------------------

If, on the other hand, you have the following network diagram, I have no idea what would trigger the issue you described:

Options
2023-04-10 19:10:31

@Alexandre. 

What do you think, what is broken between them? Since two of the three Decos are connected via Ethernet it seems that LAN connection is ok. Please let me know where is the issue and how to troubleshoot it.

Options
2023-04-10 20:48:20 - last edited 2023-04-10 20:49:38

@BaCsaba 

Take a look at this network diagram and assume there is more than one Satellite Deco hardwired to the switch:

What will happen if Ethernet link between the switch and Main Deco is broken? For example, if Ethernet cable between them gets accidentally disconnected.

In that case, one of Satellite Deco will establish WiFi link to Main Deco. All Internet traffic that goes through the switch will pass through that Satellite Deco to Main Deco. You will still have Internet access, perhaps slow but not down. It is network resiliency that Deco mesh provides.

What will happen if you reboot Satellite Deco wirelessly connected to Main Deco? Satellite Deco will briefly go offline, Deco mesh will notice that and another Satellite Deco will take its place. You will see that another Satellite Deco now reporting WiFi link to Main Deco.

What will happen when Satellite Deco you rebooted comes back online? Because there is another Satellite Deco already providing WiFi link to Main Deco, the one you rebooted will connect to the switch by Ethernet.

The fix is quite simple: find what is the problem with the Ethernet cable between switch and Main Deco, and correct it.

----------------

As you can see, all symptoms match perfectly, but you are telling me this is not the network diagram of your network. This is quite strange.

I can only think of another network setup where issue will appear and all symptoms will match: Main Deco connected directly to ISP Router Ethernet port, all Satellite Deco connected through the switch, the switch connects to the different Ethernet port of ISP Router, and that Ethernet connection between switch and ISP Router is down.

That is why I asked you to double check what do you really have with your network.

Options
2023-04-11 04:51:38 - last edited 2023-04-11 05:35:07

@Alexandre. 

Yes, what you describe has logic but as the original post said the problem is that I have two Decos which looses Ethernet backhaul connection. When "Lilla fszt" looses eth backhaul and I do a reset on that particular mesh then it connects back on ethernet however suddenly "Balint" deco looses the ethernet and connects on wifi. Doesn't make sense that it's a cable problem in this case.

From other perspective it has no effect if the Main Deco is on the "left side" or on the "right side" of the picture, it's connected to the switch as well as other Decos :)

Options
2023-04-17 11:56:26

@BaCsaba 

Hi, May I know the model number of your main ISP router as well?

How often would you notice the Ethernet Backhual would turn to Wi-Fi Backahul?

Later I would like to follow up on your case via email. Please check whether you could get an email from me.

Thank you very much.

Options
Re:Deco X50 backhaul problem-Solution
2023-04-17 11:58:51 - last edited 2023-04-19 02:59:58

@David-TP 

Hi,

Problem has been sorted out, I've inserted a Deco M5 as main deco in the basement, connected directly to the ISP's modem and set it up in Wifi Router mode. Now, all the 4x X50 Deco are connecting via ethernet backhaul.

Cheers,

Csaba

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1818

Replies: 10

Related Articles