Deco PX50 not using Powerline backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-02 06:09:09 - last edited 2023-10-12 10:10:35
Model: Deco PX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.1 Build 20220830 Rel. 71303

I've upgraded from Deco M4R to PX50 as I wanted to move to WiFi 6 but also utilise Powerline as a backhaul for extending my wired network to a corner of the house where there is no existing wired ethernet trunking. This is also to reduce reliance on wireless backhaul as the area I live is very congested on the 2.4GHz band. I'm running in AP mode as I have an OPNsense router/firewall.

Plugging in the PX50 to the main switch, then the remote PX50 with the ethernet wired devices, they are connecting via 2.4GHz and 5GHz but no Powerline backhaul presenting itself on the network map. There is also no way to enable/force Powerline as a backhaul option.

Looking at other threads where there is a similar issue, I've tried moving the units closer together on the same breaker, and even connecting via the same pair of sockets. I've tried connecting via ethernet temporarily. I've even tried moving them to the top of the house and down to the end of the garden. Nothing seems to enable Powerline backhaul. Any ideas what's going on?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco PX50 not using Powerline backhaul-Solution
2023-07-14 02:00:30 - last edited 2023-10-09 09:49:12

@TheInfamousMrD @ommoti  @Jeg5342  @Dracon  @Birillo 

Update:

Hi All,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

The official firmware to fix this issue has been released already. 

You can go to APP>>More>>System>>Update Deco to see whether you are able to detect the new 1.0.4 firmware.

Or you could manually install the official firmware here.

Deco PX50_V1_1.0.4_build_20230915

Thank you again for your cooperation and support.

Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
111 Reply
Re:Deco PX50 not using Powerline backhaul
2023-06-05 10:30:09 - last edited 2023-06-05 10:30:26

@TheInfamousMrD I am having the same problem on this firmware.

Mine sometimes seems to work intermittently for a short period, but then drops back to wifi. When using the older HomePlug tech such as the AV600 using the exact same ports, I can use the powerlines fine, so although I appreciate the wiring might not be the best here, it seems to be something else.

It would be great if there was some functionality to be able to diagnose what is going on, and also force PLC backhaul.

Options
2023-06-06 12:00:37

@alex12723 

Hi, Thanks for the feedback.

If the Deco PX50s are plugged into the same room or rooms next to each, will they be able to work on a stable Powerline Backhaul?

@TheInfamousMrD Hi, Thank you very much for your time and patience. I would like to follow up on your case via email and please check whether you could get an email from me later.

Best regards.

Options
2023-06-14 15:34:52

@David-TP thank you, I had an email from one of the support team on Monday suggesting I try reassigning one of the satellite Decos as my Main Deco, which did not solve the issue although it did briefly flash up with PLC backhaul, but just as quickly reverted to WiFi backhaul only.

As a feature request, it would be hugely beneficial for power users to be able to define the preferences for how they would like their Deco network to be set up. One interesting change I noticed when switching Main Deco to another was the automatic change of network topology where the Decos daisy-chained together - this would make way more sense for my set up as I have laid them out to do this, but given it's an automated assignment I can't manually define this topology nor how I want the backhaul to be set up.

Options
2023-06-16 07:44:57
So I have done a few experiments, and indeed even if I put the devices almost next to each other, they still use wifi. Occasionally they will seem to initially jump to PLC for perhaps 30 seconds, but it seems to always fall back to wifi. Again I would like to echo the sentiment that it would be nice to have control over this, and better tools to debug what is going on. The performance over wifi is mostly ok, but the big selling point is being able to use the PLC backhaul to offload some of the work, so this is somewhat frustrating.
Options
2023-07-10 11:16:37

@TheInfamousMrD 

I've the same issue. I bought the PX50 specifically for the powerline connection capability - as I live in a very old house with thick solid walls.

But as you can see in the above unit 3C41 has almost no connectivity. 

Options
2023-07-12 08:36:32 - last edited 2023-07-12 08:49:09

@Wicklow Have you or anyone else in this thread been able to solve the powerline backhaul mystery? I have just installed my PX50s yesterday replacing an older TP-link AV2000 network connected to the same power sockets (though I had 4 nodes previously including a wireless node) connected across 3 floors and therefore different electrical circuits, but was still fairly stable (though slow!). The hallway node is connected to the ISP router and is running in router mode.

As an experiment, I moved my office PX50 from the top floor to the living room node on the 1st floor (literally right next to it). The below screen captures show before/after connecting these nodes via an ethernet cable, and as you can see it reverts back to wireless backhaul only. Moving the office node close to the hallway node doesn't change anything, it still only connects via wireless. 

I have updated to the latest firmware already as part of setting up (1.03 Build 20230402 Rel. 77020), but I also did not notice any powerline backhaul symbols before updating. Has anyone solved their problem? What's the difference between running it under WiFi-Router mode and Access Point mode?

Options
2023-07-12 15:00:55

@Dracon 

I have the same issue.

I replaced powerline adapters from TP-Link that were working well.

Deco is now installed in the exact same place. Same plugs and ethernet cable.

I made Deco PX50 the Main device in my network.

I tried to update the firmware.

But it is not working. It uses just WiFi.

Options
2023-07-12 15:42:28

@Birillo how long have you had the PX50? Is it giving you better performance than your previous system?

I have since experimented with changing to AP mode and also making the Living room node the main deco (whilst Hallway is still the node connected via ethernet to the Vodafone router) and still everything stays connected via WiFi. 

I have also tried calling the 24/7 support line but no one picks up and after some time the line disconnects, and the web-based live chat agent was not able to help. My case has now been forwarded onto a senior engineer who will "hopefully will reply soon".

I have seen reviews showing powerline working (there aren't many reviews of this product yet!) so I'm hoping this is just a firmware issue given the number of us suffering from the same problem!  

Options
2023-07-12 19:49:58 - last edited 2023-07-12 19:51:39

@TheInfamousMrD I've just got the PX50 triple pack and powerline is not working either. I'm happy with the speed, but I could have spent less and got the x50 triple instead.

One corner of my house which is a WiFi deadzone could really do with the power line backhaul and the WiFi gets about 50% of the other two.

I'm a bit miffed TBH, hopefully it's just a teething issue.  Ive got a network of homeplugs from TP link which have given me many years of faithful service, and the PX50s do give higher speed even on the WiFi backhaul but not having the PLC might be a deal-breaker if it's not sorted

Options
2023-07-12 20:36:32

@TheInfamousMrD I received my triple pack PX50 today and have set them up. Used the wifi all day and didn't think to look for the powerline working till this evening.
I've got the same problem, on the latest firmware and have tried setting another of the units as the main but to no avail.
Have now sent an email to the support team but only so it should hopefully add to everyone else's. I'm going to hold out for a few more days as the units are working better than the previous hardware but the furthest point is very low on wifi and will not switch to powerline.

I've used the powerline adaptors in this house before so not sure why these units aren't connecting to each other.

Options