OneMesh (EasyMesh?) Not Configuring Properly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-11 18:32:42
Model: RE200   Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.3 Build 20230603 rel.46473(5553)

I have an AX55 purchased in the US. I now live in Spain, and purchased an RE200 here. I used the RE200 with the Tether app to try to set up and create the OneMesh / EasyMesh network. It acts like it works fine, and there is an extended mesh that reaches into a place that the AX55 wasn't able to reach on its own. However, my HomePod Mini is having issues staying connected in the extended range area, so I started investigating. I've determined that the mesh may not be configured properly, but I don't know what else to try. Refer to screenshots and details below:

Network Map as shown on the AX55. Note it says there are no mesh devices.

Network map as shown on the RE200 (w/ my redactions). Note the RE200 is connected to the router only via 2.4G, it seems?

Confirming AX55 setting - EasyMesh is turned ON.

Trying to add satellite device displays this error. Both bands are ENABLED, none hidden, and security is set to WPA3-PERSONAL+WPA2-PSK[AES]. So, the settings seem to indicate that WPS should work. But regardless, it doesn't seem to work.

So in summary: EasyMesh is set to ON both for AX55 and RE200, but they won't connect as EasyMesh with each other. The RE200 only seems to connect to the AX55 via 2.4Ghz, and a 5Ghz scan on the RE200 fails to find the AX55.

Is it possible this is a region issue, since I purchased the devices in different regions? I tried to change the region of the RE200 as described here (https://www.tp-link.com/es/support/faq/708/?app=deco), but running Quick Setup on the RE200 doesn't present any region options - it goes straight into WiFi scanning (and it seems to be the first step, as shown below.

When scanning during quick setup, you can see that it finds my AX55 network, and it even displays the EasyMesh icon:

When I select both 2.4 and 5Ghz networks, it even shows EasyMesh on both frequencies:

After clicking confirm in the screenshot above, I see "operation successful" and "applying settings", and then after 20-30 seconds, I get this error message:

I'm at a loss. I'm guessing this strange configuration problem is the root cause of my HomePod Mini's issues. Any assistance or troubleshooting y'all can provide would be appreciated!

Options
7 Reply
Re:OneMesh (EasyMesh?) Not Configuring Properly
2023-11-11 19:29:07

@Strygun 

Hi,

If your US version of the AX55 is broadcasting its 5 GHz wireless network on channel 149 or above, then the European RE200 cannot see it, because those channels are not supported in Europe.
Therefore, make sure the 5 GHz Wi-Fi of the AX55 is set to a channel lower than 149. (in the webGUI this option is under "Advanced" -> "Wireless" -> "Wireless Settings" -> "Channel")

What exactly happens when you perform the WPS procedure?
Do the designated LEDs for WPS on the AX55 and the RE200 just blink for two minutes and after the two minutes are up they stop blinking without any connection having been established between the two devices?

Options
2023-11-11 20:07:12

@woozle thanks for the quick response. The 5Ghz channel was set to Auto. I've now changed it to 120 (DFS) - there was a note about radar detection but otherwise it seems to have changed successfully. Do you have any recommendation on what channel, below 149, is best to select?

Before the channel change, I tried resetting the RE200 and running WPS. Lights on both devices blinked for a while and the RE200 seemed to end up extending the AX55, but not as a onemesh network. Instead, the RE created extended networks with the same SSID as the AX55 but with _EXT appended at the end. So then I reset the RE200 again, and tried WPS again. Since then, the WPS process hasn't worked - lights on both devices just flash a while and then stop.

Options
2023-11-11 22:01:53

@woozle and for context - this is what I see in the Tether app while logged in to the RE200. As if the OneMesh is set up properly. But if I look at the network map while logged into the AX55, it says there are no onemesh devices.

Options
2023-11-11 22:52:33

@Strygun 

To rule out some corrupted configuration settings within the AX55 you could do the following test.

1) On the AX55 go to "Advanced" -> "System" -> "Backup & Restore" and perform a "Backup" of the current router settings.
2) Perform a full "FACTORY RESTORE" from the same menu.
3) After the AX55 has booted up try again to add the RE200 via the WPS button procedure.

In case it succeeded this time (i.e. the RE200 shows up correctly in the EasyMesh menu of the AX55), then I am afraid you would then need to manually configure all the other settings of your router again.

If after resetting the AX55 it still doesn't work, then go back to the "Advanced" -> "System" -> "Backup & Restore" menu and "Restore" the settings from the backup file you saved previously. Your router should then be in the same state like it was before this little test.

Options
2023-11-12 17:44:49

@woozle thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a shot, but I'm traveling for the next few weeks so I'll post here then with the results. Meanwhile - any suggestion on what channel I should assign the 5Ghz band to? I'm guessing I still need to set that after I do the factory reset, before trying WPS.

Options
2023-11-12 19:10:45

@Strygun 

Yes, given that the US AX55 might automatically select a 5 GHz channel that the EU RE200 can't work with, it's better to set a specific channel manually.

Best practice for choosing a Wi-Fi channel would be to check what channels neighboring Wi-Fi routers are working on and then pick a range that is either still unused or, in case there are no unused channels, pick a channel of a range that is the least crowded. (you probably know that the router isn't just using the one channel that you select, but instead a whole bunch of adjacent channels, depending on the selected "Channel Width")

There should be free software available for all popular platforms to do this. Just look for something called Wi-Fi Scanner or Wi-Fi Analyzer.

Options
2023-12-13 21:34:57

@woozle Turns out, doing a factory reset made it all work. The extender was able to connect to the router using WPS (finally), and the HomePod Mini in the kitchen now has a stable internet connection. Thanks for helping me troubleshoot all this. Too bad it required the nuclear option, but whatever that did ended up making it all work like it was supposed to from the start. Thanks!

Options