Cannot connect to IOT network with my phone

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-28 19:10:38
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I have recenty bought the deco x50 set. I'm trying to install smart wifi lamps, which is a nightmare on it's own, and therefore I want to use the IOT network option in the Deco. The problem is that I cannot connect to them with mine or my wives samsung phone. I see the network, I enter the password but it simply will not connect. What am I missing here? I can connect via the laptop but I need it on my phone as well for wifi lamps app. 

Thanks for helping! 

spoiler alert... when this is working I need help with the lamps as they connect to my modem but not to the deco's. But first things first :)  

Options
5 Reply
Re:Cannot connect to IOT network with my phone
2023-11-28 20:52:40 - last edited 2023-11-28 20:53:05

@TJV1979 

According to TP-Link, the Deco's IoT network does not automatically isolate devices from the main network. Which means, if you need to manage your IoT devices from smartphone, that smartphone can be on Main Network. No need to force it connect to IoT network.

I can't tell you why your smartphone is unable to connect to IoT network, and it is possible your smart lamps will fail to connect to IoT network for the same (unknown to me) reason. But you can skip the step of trying to have smartphone on IoT network, and focus on smart lamps instead.

Also, by the way, you should turn off WiFi that is on your modem. This is how you are going to force smart lamps use Deco mesh. 

Options
2023-11-29 06:39:29 - last edited 2023-11-29 06:45:31

@TJV1979 

Hi, May I know the model number of the two smartphones?

I saw similar feedback on Deco X60 with an iPhone a few days but there is no further update from that user anymore.

Since you are using Deco X50_v1, with the latest 1.3.1 firmware, it supports Wi-Fi Access Control(Allow and Block list). Did you enable the "Allow List"?

If yes, I think you could try to temporarily turn it off and switch to "Block List"  to see whether it helped.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2023-11-29 08:47:35

@David-TP 

Hi, 

Thank you  for the reply. The phones are a S20FE and a S21FE. I have not activated an allowed list and it's still at the default setting. 

But the main reason why I want to use the IOT setting is because I'm trying to connect hoftronic smart lamps to the Deco's. so maybe I'm zooming in to much on the IOT problem but the reason is mainly that I'm looking for a solution to connect my lamps. I have an Odido (T-mobile) modem Zyxel T-56 and I can connect the lamps to that modem in an instant. I'm unable to connect to do the same with the Deco... I've tried the 2.4 setting, changed to WPA/WPA2, and am trying the IOT network setting as well and bumped into the issue that I cannot connect with my phone. When I try to pair the lamps (in my regular wifi network) with the Deco it's mostly a time out error or just an unable to connect error. I compared settings between the T-56 and the Deco's but my knowledge does not go further than what I described in the above. Do you perhaps know why I cannot connect the wifi lamps to the Deco's? And indeed why I cannot connect to the IOT as well of course, hence the reason of this thread.

(If I need to move my lamp issue to a new topic, please let me know, happy to do so)

Thanks for the support.  

Options
2023-11-29 08:57:04

@TJV1979 

In addition my set-up

modem t-mobile zyxel t-56

hardwired to:

deco x50

hardwired to:

tp-link switch

hardwired to:

deco x50

deco x50

Options
2023-12-05 02:42:11

@TJV1979 

Hi, Thank you very much for your time and patience.

I would like to follow up on your case via email. Please check whether you could receive my email later.

In the meanwhile, could you please help me check the following details:

1. The Samsung S20FE and S21FE phones are able to connect the main network, but not IOT network, right?

2. If you change the IOT to non-security, will these two phones be able to connect the IOT network?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options