Synchronize when change password

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-01-16 04:18:59 - last edited 2024-01-18 03:43:57

Hello, i need some advice. 

So my question is : 

How can i make it efficiently changing password without going one by one to deco APs?

because we will change wifi password weekly.

Right now i'm designing a topology for Restaurant but small capacity like a house. 

My topology : 1st floor = Deco AP (Wire backhaul from Ground Floor Main router ISP) 

Ground floor = Main Router from ISP -- Deco AP wire backhaul to the center of restaurant to main router from ISP

Basement floor = Deco AP (Wire backhaul from Ground floor main router ISP)

Mytopology Caption
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Synchronize when change password -Solution
2024-01-17 09:15:48 - last edited 2024-01-18 03:43:57

@TheNewbie92 

You need to start by configuring one Deco as the main Deco.  I believe you must configure it as Access Point, given how you are cabling your devices.

Then you will add the other two Deco as satellites in the same Deco network.

The three Deco will work together, and offer together a single wifi network (or a main and a guest network).

If you cable differently, you could configure the Deco in Router mode.

ISP Router _______________ Main Deco   __________________ switch ____________ Satellite Deco

____________ Satellite Deco

If the Deco has three Ethernet ports, you do not need a switch.

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Synchronize when change password
2024-01-16 09:19:31

@TheNewbie92 You'll probably need to give a bit more information, like what Deco units you're using and if you're wanting to set up a staff network, customer network, which networks you want to change passwords for, etc. My guess is that you'll want to change the customer password weekly? If you're using a  mesh network then you won't need to change the AP passwords individually, they all use the same network and WiFi login details are shared across all 3. If you're using cheaper range extenders you'll probably need to change them individually.

XE75 V1.0 3-pack / Wired backhaul / Router mode / UK
Options
2024-01-16 10:01:26 - last edited 2024-01-16 10:04:58

Dear  @Wrayman ,

Thank you for your response,

I will be using deco X20 for the whole restaurant customer. 

Yes its part of our SOP will change password weekly. 

My topology is i will using default modem router from ISP - then backhaul all the way AP Decos. 

My question is :

If i change my password in default modem router from ISP, will it change directly to the AP decos? since its backhaul directly to AP Decos.   

Or do i need reset connection to each AP Decos? 

Options
2024-01-16 10:35:11

@TheNewbie92 Try to think of it this way, the ISP router will essentially provide the internet to your X20 units. The WiFi on your ISP router can be switched off completely and you can use the WiFi network on the X20 units. All 3 of the X20 units can be configured to use the same network and you won't have to change the passwords for each one. You can set up two networks using the Deco app on your phone:

• Main network: You can use this for yourself and employees and don't need to change it every week. You can even hide the network so customers can't see it
  • Guest network: This is publicly available to your customers, and you can change the password weekly or however often you like

Both of these networks will work across all 3 of your Deco X20 units, and you can disable the ISP WiFi completely.

Hope this helps and I'm properly understanding what you want to do!

Options
2024-01-17 02:09:20

Hi, @Wrayman 

So, do i need setting 1 unit X20 as a router? and the others will be the access point? 

Options
2024-01-17 09:07:25

@TheNewbie92 No, without getting too technical the ISP router is capable of handling all of the router functions, and the X20 units can all be set in AP mode to connect your WiFi devices. You will lose some of the extra functionality of the X20 units (some features like Quality of Service only work in router mode) but it's the simplest layout for your network.

Options
Re:Synchronize when change password -Solution
2024-01-17 09:15:48 - last edited 2024-01-18 03:43:57

@TheNewbie92 

You need to start by configuring one Deco as the main Deco.  I believe you must configure it as Access Point, given how you are cabling your devices.

Then you will add the other two Deco as satellites in the same Deco network.

The three Deco will work together, and offer together a single wifi network (or a main and a guest network).

If you cable differently, you could configure the Deco in Router mode.

ISP Router _______________ Main Deco   __________________ switch ____________ Satellite Deco

____________ Satellite Deco

If the Deco has three Ethernet ports, you do not need a switch.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-01-18 03:42:54 - last edited 2024-01-18 03:43:49

Thanks man! @yves_b  yes

Options
2024-01-18 03:43:37

yesThanks man @Wrayman !

Options

Information

Helpful: 0