2 Routers connected to a switch in a single network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-01-23 15:52:46
Model: Archer AX53  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

At home I have the following setup - a tp-link switch modem connected to the internet and 2 routers (both AX53 3000), connected to that switch. I want to set them up in such a way that both belong to the same network (Wi-Fi SSID too) and both have access to the internet.

I tried combining them, using EasyMesh but the result was unsatisfactory. I also tried fiddling around with the router configuration - Router A is set up with access to internet and DHCP enabled and I tried setting up Router B within Router A's network, with no DHCP and I tried giving it a static IP but ultimately the configuration I was trying to do went up in flames and I ended up factory resetting Router B. Is what I'm trying to do possible?

Options
5 Reply
Re:2 Routers connected to a switch in a single network
2024-01-23 17:37:01 - last edited 2024-01-23 17:38:31

@aboninski 

Just set both AX53 in AP mode (Case 1) and their SSIDs the same. Both AX53 DHCP server should be turned off.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-01-23 17:38:19
I read somewhere that AP mode will disable their ethernet ports. Is that correct?
Options
2024-01-23 17:39:25

@aboninski 

No, their LAN ports would work as a plain network switch for wired devices.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-01-23 18:20:44

@aboninski 

You can use multiple routers connected via a switch, 

As stated above you have your main unit then when you set up your 2 satellite you put them in AP mode, all with the same ssid and passwords. 

The ethernet ports onbthe satellite routers do work. 

I had a ax72 as my main then I had 2 more ax72 in AP mode all with the same ssid amd passwords for main wifi/ guest wifi/ and iot network. 

One was attached to my tp link switch on my top floor and the other was in my man cave at the bottom of the garden, all worked as it should do sometimes some devices when roaming didnt always switch over but easily solved by quickly turning wifi on amd off again. 

Options
2024-01-26 13:22:43

The image above depicts my home network setup. I set up the main router (A in the picture) normally (in router mode with DHCP enabled) and the AP router in AP mode with DHCP server disabled. Both routers' Wi-Fi SSID and password are the same.  I've had this configuration for couple of days now and I'm having issues with devices connected to the AP router. Devices connect to it but have no internet access. This happens mostly for Wi-Fi connections but it also happened to the TV ethernet connection once. Upon investigating I noticed that devices connected to the router which don't have internet access have an IP from a different subnet it seems. What could I do to solve this issue, apart from going back to a two-network setup?

Options