Archer AX80 (EU) - Easy mesh - Clarify Connection Speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-02-11 07:54:05 - last edited 2024-02-11 07:57:45
Model: Archer AX80  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20230915 rel.40846(4555)

THE SETUP
I have two Archer Ax80 setup in easy mesh with Ethernet backhaul.

I have a 500mbps internet connection.

The EasyMesh master router

A CAT 5E cable from the internet modem plugs into the blue 2.5Gbps port 

A CAT 5E Ethernet cable runs from the 1 Gbps WAN/LAN port on the master, to a plug at the wall

a speed test on my phone standing next to the master router gets 527 Mbps DOWN / 61 Mbps UP

The EasyMesh satellite router

Ethernet cable runs from the wall to the 2.5Gbps port on the satellite AX80

a speed test on my phone standing next to the satellite router gets 96 Mbps DOWN / 60 Mbps UP

THE PROBLEM / QUESTION

When I check on the Ethernet status in the TP-Link UI (192.168.0.1) for the 1 Gbps port I see:

1Gbps WAN/LAN

100Mbps

Full Duplex

I'm not sure how to be certain of the speed at the satellite, but based on this indication and speed test results, it seems I'm getting 100Mbps at the satellite.

How do I get the full speed at the satellite? Have I set it up incorrectly? Something I should do to diagnose?

Appreciate any guidance!

Extra Q: I used to be able to do a speed test in the router UI itself on a different TpLink router. When I search in the router config UI for 'Speed' it gives a result looking like it's there 'Network Status > Speed test', but when I click the result I'm taken to the Network Status page and there's no speed test option. Is that no longer available?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer AX80 (EU) - Easy mesh - Clarify Connection Speeds
2024-02-11 17:21:26 - last edited 2024-02-11 17:28:38

@Userrandom 

Hi,

At first glance I see two possible causes for the 100 Mbps issue.
1) Whoever built your house went cheap and installed Ethernet cables with only two wire pairs inside the walls.
2) They did actually install Ethernet cables with four wire pairs inside the walls, but due to bad craftsmanship (wires not crimped properly to the sockets?) one or more wires have no connection or wires are not attached in the correct order.

Regarding the extra question.

Only a few of TP-Link's router models ever had the speed test feature.

I think the problem with having a built-in speed test that relies on third-party servers is that the operators of those speed test servers will make changes ("improvements") to their service from time to time and as a result the speed test feature of the router might stop working. Then the router manufacturer either has to deal with support requests from angry customers or go through the trouble of releasing an updated firmware just to fix the speed test, both of which are undesirable.

Options
Re:Archer AX80 (EU) - Easy mesh - Clarify Connection Speeds
2024-02-12 20:22:27

@woozle 

thank you, much appreciated.

I'll take a bit of a look at the cabling, then get the installer out.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 648

Replies: 2

Related Articles