RE815XE not connecting to wifi modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-02-19 17:52:03
Model: RE815XE  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I know a little about IT, but this is the first time with an extender.

I'd like to provide more info about my Hardware and Firmware versions but I don't know how. 

I've had the RE plugged in for an hour and there are no lights except the steady power. The modem downstairs in the building, about 30 feet away.  I reset it, too, but still no connection. Everything else connects automatically. 

The wifi modem belongs to the IT company that looks after the office but they're in another city.

What am I doing wrong? 

Options
6 Reply
Re:RE815XE not connecting to wifi modem
2024-02-19 18:19:34

@John_OS 

Hi,

TP-Link offers "how to" videos that will lead you through the setup process of your range extender. 

There are three different methods to choose from.

Via Tether App:  https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/YXK6BYUy4Wg

Via Web Browser:  https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/WlYtx6d_41A

Via WPS Button:  https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/oCT-hAtL_IQ

Options
2024-02-19 18:44:52

@woozle  I did all that, at least tried to. Without it connecting to the parent wifi modem, I can't do anything. It doesn't show up in the wifi list of my PC or phone. 

Options
2024-02-19 19:34:00

@John_OS 

So, when you go through the Quick Setup the RE815XE scans for nearby wireless networks, in the ensuing list that is shown you select the wireless network of your parent Wi-Fi modem, enter the correct Wi-Fi password of the parent Wi-Fi modem and then click "Next".

What happens after that? Do you get an error message or does the Quick Setup continue on?

Options
2024-02-19 20:26:17 - last edited 2024-02-19 20:52:36

@woozle 

"Go through the Quick Setup"

I can't connect to it. At all. It doesn't show. Period. Like it doesn't even exist. My phone and PC are finding every network in the neighbourhood, but nothing resembling the extender.

It must be defective. I'll return it and get another one. 

Thank you so much for your help!

Options
2024-02-19 20:49:21

@John_OS 

If neither your PC nor your smartphone can find a Wi-Fi network named "TP-Link_Extender", then the RE815XE you have must be defective.

Just to be sure you might want to reset the RE815XE a second time (by pressing and holding the small recessed "Reset" button inside the little hole for a few seconds) and then look again if your PC or phone can find the Wi-Fi network named "TP-Link_Extender". If still nothing, then it's probably time to return it for a replacement.

Options
2024-02-20 09:07:49 - last edited 2024-02-20 09:12:00

@John_OS 

Hi, I think you might accidentally copy the main router SSID to RE815XE, like via WPS.

Or your host router also supports EasyMesh, after the setup, 815RE automatically syncs the same SSID.

woozle's idea of factory reset is definitely worth a try.

Thank you very much and Best regards.

Options