X60 ethernet backaul not working

2024-03-20 10:09:41
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.2.5 Rel. 2319

Hey everyone!

I have a couple of Deco x60 v3.2, in access-point mode, that are refusing to work with ethernet backhaul when connected to the ethernet ports of an AX72 Pro router with wifi disabled.

The topology looks like this:

ISP Fiber Converter

|

Tp-Link AX72 Pro Router

|                             |

Deco1(main)         Deco2

The General questions about Ethernet Backhaul mention that "When the Deco is set to work under Access Point mode, you can wire satellite Deco to any Deco unit or the main modem/router.", so I don't see anything wrong in my setup.

I would rather avoid buying another switch as the 4 ethernet ports in the router are all that I need.

The behavior when I connect the satellite deco (deco2) to ethernet is that once every minute or so, the status led switches from green to red (for about 10-20 seconds) and then back to green. In the app, the satellite shows as connected to wireless not to ethernet.

What I tried:

1. Tested the ethernet connections between the router and the end of the cable where the Decos are connecting, with a laptop. Everything looks good. This ruled out the Ethernet cabling.
  2. I switched to Deco2 as main, while leaving everything else the same. Deco2 worked fine, it had internet connection, but the bad behavior moved to Deco1 (statis led green-red-green, showed as connected to wifi). This again ruled out the ethernet cabling.
  3. Connected the satellite deco1 with a short cable to deco2. This worked fine. Status led solid green and deco2 showed as connected to ethernet in the app. This seems to rule out an issue with the Decos and seems to indicate that the LAN ports in the AX72 Pro router are the issue. 
  4. The router doesn't have any network loop detection options for lan. It only has RX/TX flow control switches. I tried disabling those but the situation stayed the same.

Anything else I can try? 

Thank you

Options
5 Reply
Re:X60 ethernet backaul not working
2024-03-21 07:47:19

@_underscore_ 

Hi, Thank you very much for your feedback.

I saw a similar post yesterday and it is also Archer AX72 Pro with Deco.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/660316

I am a little curious about "short cable", how long is this cable,1m? How about the original cable?

By the way, are you able to constantly produce this issue in a short time so that I can forward your case to the senior engineers for further assistance:

" once every minute or so, the status LED(on the satellite Deco) switches from green to red (for about 10-20 seconds) and then back to green. In the app, the satellite shows as connected to wireless not to ethernet.

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2024-03-21 08:35:42

@David-TP, thanks for looking into this.

Indeed, this looks very similar to the other post. 

Yes, it is a 1m cable. But the correct behavior was with the satellite deco connected in the second ethernet port of the main deco, not in the AX72. The original cable is about 5-8m to the wall socket and then the 1m cable to the deco. 

I could test with the satellite deco connected with a short cable in the AX72, But I don't think that is the problem.

I'm not in the location right now so I can't replicate it now. But the described behavior is consistent.

Thanks again

Options
2024-03-21 21:41:54

I tested the sattelite deco with a short cable directly into the AX72. Same result, green-red-green, with backhaul falling back to wifi.

Before doing this I cleared the logs in both decos and in the AX72. After the test, I gathered the logs from the decos. The AX72 had no events in the logs. 

I don't see anything obvious in the logs but I can share them if it will help.

Options
2024-03-22 01:41:24

@_underscore_ 

Hi, Thanks for the update.

I consulted with the senior engineers earlier and he thought it might be related to the EasyMesh on Archer AX72 Pro.

In this way, could you please try to disable "EasyMesh" on the AX72 Pro to see whether it helps?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2024-03-22 08:30:15

@David-TP, I tried the suggestion. I get the same behavior. green-red-green status leds and showing as wifi backhaul.

Options