Archer C9 VPN passthrough issue

2024-05-06 07:10:49
Model: Archer C9  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.3.2 Build 20220510 rel.55014(4555)

I'm using the Archer C9 as a wifi router at home, to replace the bad wifi provided by my internet provider's VDSL box (Proximus).

When working at home, I need to set up a VPN (L2TP tunnel) between my laptop and my company, so I enabled PPTP / L2TP / IPsec Passthrough in the NAT Forwarding/ALG settings on the Archer C9.

This works fine, but after a few hours the VPN suddenly stops working (no more traffic going through). 

I have to reboot the Archer, re-establish the VPN connection and then I can work again.

As you can imagine, this is very annoying.

Now after a lot of trying several settings and looking on the internet for people with similar issues, I finally discovered the problems were caused by NAT Boost on the Archer.

When I disable the NAT Boost (in Advanced -> System Tools -> System Parameters), my VPN connection works flawlessly for days on a row.

Is this something normal that can be explained, perhaps it is a bug in the firmware ?

Also, I hope this helps other people when facing a similar issue.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Archer C9 VPN passthrough issue
2024-05-08 08:25:22

@ElFrikandel 

Hi, Thanks so much for your sharing!

Enabling Nat Boost may cause packet loss, which may cause your VPN connection stopped working.

Disabling Nat Boost will have little influence on the performance. Please do not worry~

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 174

Replies: 1

Related Articles