TL-WPA8630 v2 (EU) no access to web interface. Firmware update only with NVM+PIB

TL-WPA8630 v2 (EU) no access to web interface. Firmware update only with NVM+PIB

2024-07-10 10:09:55
Model: TL-WPA8630 KIT  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.2.1218-00_863012_161220_901

After Firmware Upgrade, I lost access to web interface of my TL-WPA8630.
Using tpPLC the adapter has lost Wifi icon and is seen upgradable only using NVM and PIB files.

Online I found only bin files.

I need to recovery the wifi adapter.

Can someone help me ?

Thank you

Options
2 Reply
Re:TL-WPA8630 v2 (EU) no access to web interface. Firmware update only with NVM+PIB
2024-07-10 18:28:34

@Flacer 

Hi,

Have you already tried if a reset might help?

From the user's manual:

"Press and hold the Reset button for at least 5 seconds to reset the powerline extender
to factory default settings. When Reset is triggered properly, all LEDs will turn off and
start on again."

As far as I am aware these Powerline adapters have no built-in recovery mechanism to recover from a failed firmware update. 

By the way, what is the name of the firmware zip file you downloaded from TP-Link's website that lead to the failed update?

Options
Re:TL-WPA8630 v2 (EU) no access to web interface. Firmware update only with NVM+PIB
2024-07-11 11:33:07

@woozle 

I don't remember which firmware I used. It's a long time that has happened.

The adapter works only with ethernet.

The web browser interface doesn't exist anymore.

Only one old Powerline app shows that it is capable of wifi connections.

Searching on the forum, I discovered that the bin version of firmware is a linux partition only for web interface.

PIB files are related to mac address hardware information and they change to the region (US, EU, AU) and to version.

NVM is something related to the chip, and it can improve speed over the network if upgraded with a new version.

WPA8630 uses the QUALCOM7550 chip.

Options