Deco M5 - Ethernet no longer working after last firmware update

2024-07-22 10:49:56
Model: Deco M5   Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.7.6 build 20240305

Since the last Deco M5 firmware update, I have been unable to access any network devices attached using ethernet ports to my main and satellite Decos.

Network setup:

Fibre to premises modem -> Main Deco (in router mode, IPTV switched off) -> Unmanaged Network Switch -> Ethernet cables hard wired to four satellite Decos -> network switches -> devices connected by ethernet cable.

I have been running this network without any major problems for over two years.  After the latest firmware update, I  noticed that none of the ethernet-connected devices (such as television, NAS drives and PCs) were connected to the network.  I initially thought that maybe one of the ethernet cables or the unmanaged network switch connected to the Main Deco had reached end of life so replaced it (and the other switches bought at the same time)  with brand new Netgear GS308 switches and Cat 7 and Cat 8 ethernet cables.

I have tried power cycling everything a number of times but about halfway through the process of turning on each Deco and waiting for it to reboot, when adding one of the ethernet connected satellite Decos it is as if the system trips and all ethernet connected Decos fail over onto WiFi. This doesn't seem to happen with a particular ethernet-connected satellite Deco; it can happen with any one of them,

I have tried replacing the main deco with a different M5 deco. 

I have also replaced the main deco with a brand new M9+ deco.

I have also deleted the network and created a new network from scratch.

None of these solutions have worked. 

All ideas very much appreciated.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco M5 - Ethernet no longer working after last firmware update
2024-07-23 07:03:49

@Lurcherjohn 

Hi, is the current network topology like:

Are both switches Netgear GS308?

If we temporarily unplug switch#2(and the devices that connected to switch#2), will the satellite Deco M5 units remain on Ethernet Backhaul?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
Re:Deco M5 - Ethernet no longer working after last firmware update
2024-07-23 11:00:46

@David-TP Many thanks for your response and support.

Your analysis of my network is broadly correct, but a more detailed version is below:

This is the configuration that has worked well for me over the last couple of years, with all ECDs being visible on the network and ethernet connections working well.

In answer to your question on unplugging the switches:

If I unplug all switches the Main Deco will see an ethernet connected device connected directly to the Main Deco.

If I power on the first GS308 switch, the Main Deco will see an ECD connected to the first GS308.  

If I start to power up satellite Decos, all Decos will fail over to Wi Fi only as I add the ethernet connected satellite Decos to that first GS308 switch. 

There doesn’t seem to be any consistency as to which satellite Deco will cause the failure: it might be the first, second, third or fourth.  It also doesn’t seem to matter if there is a second switch or not.

Very much hoping you can suggest a solution!

Many thanks

Options