Deco X50-Outdoor: Connectivity Issues

3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago
Model: Deco X50-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.5 Build 20231121 Rel.68541

I am not so sure about Hardware Version. It says US/1.6 next to S/N...

Here's my situation.
I currently have a Verizon FiOS G3100 router.

After reading many positive reviews on Amazon, I purchased the Deco x50-Outdoor hoping it would help me extend my WiFi signal outside for multiple IP cameras.

I connected it to the G3100 router using a Cat6 PoE Ethernet cable.
Since the G3100 router does not support PoE, I use a TP-Link TL-SF1006P PoE switch.

The Deco X50-Outdoor appears to be connected. I also set it up as an Access Point with the same SSID credentials as my existing AP.

This is where it gets tricky...

I have no idea if my new Deco X50-Outdoor is working or not. Connectivity wise.
Each of our phones (iPhone 14 and Z Fold 3) is showing around 90 Mbps. But the Tapo C510W camera is still slow considering it is a few feet away from the Deco x50-Outdoor. Also when I check the speed on my Samsung Tab S3 it shows 15 Mbps. Again, a few feet away from the Deco x50-Outdoor.

Thank you in advance!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco X50-Outdoor: Connectivity Issues-Solution

@sinyagent 

Tapo camera runs on WiFi 2.4GHz. There are two ways to force it connect to Deco X50- outdoor:

1. Turn off WiFi 2.4 GHz band in 3100 router. This is preferred option if you do not have in house devices that need 2.4 GHz.

Camera will have no choice but connect to Deco X50- outdoor WiFi 2.4 GHz.

or

2. Change 3100 router SSID to make it different from what Deco SSID is. You will then have to add this new SSID to devices that are in house or you take in house. 

Camera will stay connected to Deco SSID, as it is the only SSID it knows. 

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco X50-Outdoor: Connectivity Issues
3 weeks ago

@sinyagent 

You can open Deco app and check which devices connected to Deco X50- outdoor. 

Because you have same SSID for Deco and for G3100, it is possible Tapo camera and Samsung tab still connect to G3100. If they do, that would explain slow speeds. 

Options

Thanks @Alexandre.,

Is there anything I can do to fix this situation?
Also, what numbers (speed) should I see for connected clients?

For example, it shows that my Galaxy Tab S3 is one of them trying to load the video on Youtube with speed in kbps...

Options
Re:Deco X50-Outdoor: Connectivity Issues-Solution

@sinyagent 

Tapo camera runs on WiFi 2.4GHz. There are two ways to force it connect to Deco X50- outdoor:

1. Turn off WiFi 2.4 GHz band in 3100 router. This is preferred option if you do not have in house devices that need 2.4 GHz.

Camera will have no choice but connect to Deco X50- outdoor WiFi 2.4 GHz.

or

2. Change 3100 router SSID to make it different from what Deco SSID is. You will then have to add this new SSID to devices that are in house or you take in house. 

Camera will stay connected to Deco SSID, as it is the only SSID it knows. 

Recommended Solution
Options

Thanks @Alexandre.,

That's the thing. I have many other devices (cameras) that use 2.4GHz indoors. But since Deco X50-Outdoor was purchased for Outdoor I would rather rename its SSID to something else and reconnect those outdoor devices individually. Starting with Tapo C510W... 

Options
3 weeks ago

Here's a quick update...

After renaming the SSID for the Deco X50-Outdoor (xxxxx_deco) and reconnecting the Tapo C510W, things have changed dramatically for the better.

I'll keep you posted if anything happens.

Thanks again!

Options