Replace main Deco

Replace main Deco
Replace main Deco
2 weeks ago
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.7.6

@TP_LINK 

I'm about to replace my main Deco, M5 HW v1.0, with a Deco M9. Unsure of the FW and HW version of the M9. Will use the "Replace main Deco" in the app.

Is there anything I should do or think of before I start the process?

Options
8 Reply
Re:Replace main Deco
2 weeks ago

@Ache 

Hi, I think everything will work as expected.

If you are still hesitating, maybe you could try to add Deco M9 as the satellite Deco first, then switch it as the main Deco.

How to replace the main Deco with another Deco--Method one here

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2 weeks ago

@David-TP 

In the app there are two methods to change the main Deco. The one you are referring to and the one on the screenshot.

I do not want to set up the whole network again.

Which method skall I use?

Best  Regards

Ache 

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@Ache 

Hi, both will save the previous network configuration. I often recommend the second-"Set Main Deco".

Best regards.

Options
2 weeks ago

@David-TP 

TNX. So the best way to do it is to add the new M9 to the network, then set it as Main Deco and finally physically replace the old M5 with the new M9.

Best regards

David-TP wrote

@Ache 

Hi, both will save the previous network configuration. I often recommend the second-"Set Main Deco".

Best regards.

Options
a week ago

@David-TP 

I added the new M9 to the network, just added it, and also renamed the current main Deco as a preparation for the switch.

This is what happened.

However, all nodes are green and the network seems fully operational.

I have reset the app, removed the M9 and changed the name of the main Deco back to it's original name.

I have removed one of the nodes, reset it and added it back. In the app it gets online for a few minutes and then returns to status offline again. And now the led is stable red until I reset it and add it again. Then OK for a few minutes and back to red and offline again.

All other Decos are green but shows up as offline in the app and the web interface.

Any advice?

Best regards

Options
a week ago

@Ache 

Hi, have a look at this article. https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/697580

BT Full fibre 500, 2x M9 Plus V2 and 1x X60 V3.2 in AP mode connected to Archer C80.
Options
a week ago

klipse wrote

@Ache 

Hi, have a look at this article. https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/697580

@klipse @tplink 

Thank you! Obviously it is a problem with the Tapo devices and M5/M9. I have a lot of them.

I have now powered of all Tapo devices, the network is OK again, also with a new M9 added.

Currently I'm adding the Tapo devices back, one by one, to identify the problematic Tapo(s).

Problem is not solved but there is a way forward to find it.

I updated the M9 to the beta software (m9plus_2-SP1-up-ver1-6-3-P1[20240715-rel46567] rekommended in the article you pointed me to. 

That solved the problem for the moment. Then updated the M9 to the latest FW version 1.6.4 Build 20240718 Rel. 76925, and all problems were back.

This time even worse cause I couldn't even connect to the M9 to downgrade. It was green but invisible. Thats why I decided to remove all the Tapo devices.

Thank you again for pointing me in the right direction and I hope that @tplink will have some comments on this issue!

Best regards

Options
a week ago

@David-TP 

David-TP wrote

@Ache 

Hi, I think everything will work as expected.

If you are still hesitating, maybe you could try to add Deco M9 as the satellite Deco first, then switch it as the main Deco.

How to replace the main Deco with another Deco--Method one here

Thank you very much and best regards.

It didn't work as expected. After a long story with softwarw updates, powering of all my Tapos, replacing the main M5 with a M9 and then finally replacing the main M9 with an old M5 I have now returned the three M9's as they don't play well with the M5's.

The M9 does not support IoT network, Device isolation, Ignore ping from WAN and it does not recognise the Tapos connected to them.

Is there any model you can recommend that has the same or better functionality than the M5 and works well in an existing M5 network. Both as main Deco and slave?

Best regards

Options