Ability to control TP-Link Smart Plug (1-Pack) from a Windows PC?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-07 23:03:33
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 0

Sorry if I am posting to wrong forum. I have a smart plug so I chose Smart Plugs but did not see my model.  I have a TP-Link Smart Plug (1-Pack). Is there any way to control from a Windows PC?  Can I use an an Android emulator such as Blue Stacks? If not are there any TP-Link products thaat work like the Smart Plug I have but can be controlled from a Windows desktop?

Thanks in advance for your attention to this.

Options
10 Reply
Re:Ability to control TP-Link Smart Plug (1-Pack) from a Windows PC?
2019-07-08 07:05:30

@arlesterc 

What is the model number of your smart plug? 

FYI, we use Kasa app to manage the smart home devices, including smart plug, smart bulb and smart switch. No controller or programme available for Windows PC yet. 

Meanwhile, may I know why do you want to manage them via Windows PC? 

Options
2019-09-28 00:12:22 - last edited 2019-09-28 00:14:05

@arlesterc I just got Bluestacks running on my windows 10 machine. Kasa is partually working. I get an error when I try to turn on-off any of my smart devices. However, The Google home app running on Bluestacks works just fine alowing me to control my TP-link and other devices on my PC. Hope this helps.

Options
2020-04-15 18:53:22

@Duff_Beer 

I also am using Bluestacks.  For whatever reason when using this Android emulator Kasa is not able to control the devices.  I know everything works because it works with my actual Android phone properly but when I uses this emulator with the Kasa app it does not work.  Oddly it can see that my phone was controlling them properly (it shows the correct on off status).  It just doesn't seem to be able to resolve the commands all the way. Using the Google Home app on the emulator is a way around this.  Google Home on the emulator seems to be able to properly send the commands to the smart devices.  

Options
2020-04-15 19:50:12

@dacutty Android emulators need communication routing and the tp link devices use UDP which may be non-trivial to route - I'm not sure if there are configuration options to help you do this with bluestacks.  A native alternative is my java app:  https://sites.google.com/site/mppsuite/downloads/wemoserver-java that you can use to turn them on/off, it might be easier to setup.

Google home works because it sends TCP requests to the google internet servers which pass them to the TP Link servers which then control your devices from their cloud - this bypasses the local UDP routing that's used by kasa.

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2020-04-23 04:07:29
Funny you ask this. I ask myself this the other day so I decided to use IFTTT to tell Cortana to tell the kasa app to turn on my basement lamp anytime I tell Cortana to turn on the basement lamp.
Options
2020-06-02 00:02:13

@Kevin_Z I don't see a reply by the original poster but I have this need also.  The lamp directly next to my PC has a TP-Link bulb LB110.  It's actually my first TP-Link device and I now have 16: 2 bulbs, 7 plugs, 5 switches and two cameras.

To turn on the lamp, I either have to speak to an Alexa device or open my phone, find the TP-Link app then find the button.  It would be so nice if I could use a desktop icon.  The corner of my computer screen is right next to the lamp.  If I'm trying to be quiet, the Alexa option isn't preferred.  And the app method is time consuming.  Touching the icon would be so intuitive.

Options
2020-06-22 07:30:28

@arlesterc 

Hi so I also have a desk lamp which is hooked to a HS100

I found this app on Github which you may also wish to check out..

https://github.com/chrisstubbs93/HS100-WIN-CONTROL

Options
2020-07-21 15:43:25

@arlesterc 

My favorite smart plug is " Kasa Smart Plug by TP-Link, Smart Home WiFi Outlet works with Alexa, Echo, Google Home & IFTTT, No Hub Required, Remote Control, 15 Amp, UL certified, 1-Pack (HS105)" I think it is the best for all time! Thank you!

Options
2021-06-22 16:04:23

@arlesterc 

Had the same issue and ended up installing Python, which is very simple, and using this script.  Simple commands for local control of my Kasa plugs from my PC using batch files.

https://github.com/softScheck/tplink-smartplug/blob/master/tplink_smartplug.py

Example:

tplink_smartplug.py -t 100.10.1.20 -c on     (or off)

Several options supported in the script.

Cheers!

Options
2021-06-23 08:25:19
Excellent - thanks for the update. I use python at work - so will give them a try sometime!
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 13190

Replies: 10