HS100 connected to SmartTV

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-11 00:51:33 - last edited 2019-09-11 00:52:45
Model: HS100  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.5

Hi All,

We have a Kasa HS100 that we have connected to the power cord for our smart tv. We have been using it extensivley and have recently purchased a SmartTV. I`ve done some research and have not been able to locate a definitive answer. As we are using schedules to turn the power off to the SmartTV when no one is home and then pwering the TV back on at night at a specific time, Are there any long term affects off continuosly turning off and on power to our SmartTV as opposed to leaving it on all the time?

Regards

Danny

Options
4 Reply
Re:HS100 connected to SmartTV
2019-09-11 01:22:18

@Kornster 

I would think the electronics of the smart tv would last longer if you power it off.

The question i have is that some smart tv's have a lag before going off via the remote, like the operating system needs to shutdown gracefully.

Can the smarts be corrupted by cut the power while the smart tv is running.

Options
2019-09-11 01:42:04

@B.Will 

That`s a great question and one i`d not even considered before posting. My thoughts where in Caps and PCB life but that just throws another spanner in the works. Having never owned a SmartTV before i`d totally neglected the Smart`s part of the TV. I`d anticipate some controller PCB with NAND flash for the storage. The likelyhood of that corrupting in my mind is quite high i`d think. 

Regards

Danny

Options
2019-09-11 09:19:58

@Kornster 

Generally speaking, we can use the smart plug to turn on/off some device at specific time, first, please ensure that the power consumption of the appliance is within the maxium load/power of the HS110.

And for the lifespan of the smart TV, as my knowledge, the normal turn on/off won't ruin the appliance, but there is always a power button on the smart TV itself, to let the HS110 control it, the power button should be turned on all the time.

It is recommended to contact their tech support whether it is safe to turn the power button off and use the smart plug to control it.

Good day. 

Options
2019-09-11 13:57:22
That's the best answer, ask the manufacturer of the TV... anything else is speculation (and could go either way - some devices wear faster when powered off/on). In any case, Smart TV's are designed to be on 24x7 so it shouldn't affect their life, and they're not designed to be powered off completely frequently so that might. Power use when on standby is minimal - often only as much or even less than a smart switch uses on it's own.
AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 636

Replies: 4