How do we share some.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How do we share some.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
How do we share some.
How do we share some.
2019-10-05 11:33:53 - last edited 2019-10-31 01:41:10

We have three TPlink Kasa devices in our home.

I have a HS110, with powers on my 3D Printer - I have it registered under my email address.

I have set up a group in the living room - a LB100 Bulb that is in a lamp, and a HS100 which controls the lights in a display cabinet.  This is registered under my wife's email address.

My wife is off on vacation for a while, and taking her phone with here,  IS there some way that I can control "Her" devices from my phone?  The thing that comes immediately to mind, is to reprogram all three devices under a single email address - but I really don't want my wife accidentally turning off my 3D printer half way through a 15 hour print.

thoughts.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:How do we share some.-Solution
2019-10-30 12:22:22 - last edited 2019-10-31 01:41:10

@Kevin_Z 

>>>Try to update the OS version of your iPhone 8 and change another device.

I am running IOS 13.2 - it's the latest short of running betas. 

I loaded the app on my ipad running ipados 13.2 , logged in with my wife's credentials, and it works fine.

Just for thoroughness, I check the iphone - still not working - I delete the Kasa App, power the phone off completely, boot up, reload the App from the App Store, and "IT WORKS".... Goodness only knows what was causing it to fail - I had tried 20-30 times.

>>> At the same time, can you wife access the 2 devices with her account? 

Yes. From both her Iphone 8 and her Ipad (both running 13.2)

>>> What is more, you can hard reset the 2 devices to reconfigure them with your wife's account on your cellphone to give it a shot. 

Hard Reset - please explain that process (just in case - for future reference)  - I have tried powering them off completely (unplugging from the wall).

Reconfiguring with my wife's account on my phone - that is now moot.

Thanks for the help.

Recommended Solution
Options
13 Reply
Re:How do we share some.
2019-10-05 16:24:16

@MisterQ 

Logout of your account on the KASA App, and Login using your wife's account.

Options
2019-10-05 23:01:52
That is logical, but more to the point - the environment needs a more compartmentalized security model - shared control, controlling things where kids perhaps cannot toggle major components, would make sense. That said - I just tried logging in with my wife's credentials - I get "Operation Failed - please try again later" that is a very generic error message - what failed? Could it not access the authentication server? Were the credentials somehow incorrect? Does it not like two people/devices logging into the same account at the same time.
Options
2019-10-07 11:03:28
Try again later doesn't seem to work - I have tried over a dozen times, all times of the night and day... Nothing.
Options
2019-10-09 08:01:00

@MisterQ 

Hello, you can login out your own cloud account and login to the kasa app with your wife's account and then you can control the LB100 and HS100.

Please be assured of it, multiple devices can login to the kasa app with the same cloud account.

Besides, try to restart the cellphone and the devices;

Still the same, you can show us a screenshot of the error message you saw on the kasa app.

Good day.

Options
2019-10-09 08:30:36

Kevin_Z wrote

@MisterQ 

Hello, you can login out your own cloud account and login to the kasa app with your wife's account and then you can control the LB100 and HS100.

Please be assured of it, multiple devices can login to the kasa app with the same cloud account.

Besides, try to restart the cellphone and the devices;

Still the same, you can show us a screenshot of the error message you saw on the kasa app.

Good day.

@Kevin_Z  That is precisely what I have done - logged my phone out of my account, and attempted to log into hers. The password is simple and it actually in a shared space in in "1password" so what gets used on hers definitely gets used on mine.

I have just restarted both devices,  (don't see how that affects things, as it the server that is rejecting my phone login).

I have just rebooted my iphone8 (Ios13).

Here is a screen shot of the error message.

Options
2019-10-12 08:23:30

@MisterQ 

Can you login to the cloud website with the same email address and password? 

https://www.tplinkcloud.com/

Please ensure that you have disabled the VPN on your smart phone.

And please ensure that you can access internet at that time.

Good day. 

Options
2019-10-12 11:46:42

@Kevin_Z 

Can you login to the cloud website with the same email address and password? 

https://www.tplinkcloud.com/

Yes - just tried logging into that with my wife's ID/PW - works fine.

Please ensure that you have disabled the VPN on your smart phone.

I have no VPN enabled. (Although arguably a system that allows access to my household devices, and doesn't let me control the level of security is not impressive. 

And please ensure that you can access internet at that time.

Of course.  It's an Iphone8. It's running the latest 13.1.2 IOS. It is connected to my home router which is on a 50 Mbps VDSL unlimited link to Telstra - the largest Telco/ISP here in Australia. MY Modem Router has built in failover backup to 4G.  The phone is also two bars of Cell connection (Again with Telstra) and I am on an 70GB/Month Plan of which I barely use 10% I have tested

Good day. 

Options
2019-10-12 19:49:11

@Kevin_Z  just a posting from me, as last reply was from wifes account, and I think you are monitoring /following for replies from me.

Options
2019-10-28 18:55:23

@MisterQ Two weeks has gone by - no answer, no comment, no followup....

Options
2019-10-30 08:48:29

@MisterQ 

Sorry to respond late; we did some tests at our lab, while we do not reproduce the same issue, instead, we can switch the cloud account normally. 

Try to update the OS version of your iPhone 8 and change another device.

At the same time, can you wife access the 2 devices with her account? 

What is more, you can hard reset the 2 devices to reconfigure them with your wife's account on your cellphone to give it a shot. 

Good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2999

Replies: 13