LB130 keeps asking me to connect to wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-05 01:43:51 - last edited 2019-11-08 08:52:11
Model: LB130  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Latest

Hello. I'm on latest iOS. On iPhone 8plus. 

Moved apartments and am trying to setup the bulbs. Kasa app is being totally pointless. The videos out here don't help here either. I've reset and hard reset the bulbs many times.

Every time I go into Kasa app and add device it says "please connect your iPhone to your wifi". My iPhone is connected to my wifi. The add device screen doesn't move beyond this screen. What do we need to do to connect the 5 bulbs we paid for? 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:LB130 keeps asking me to connect to wifi -Solution
2019-11-08 08:51:42 - last edited 2019-11-08 08:52:11

Update: 

Per you said on the email, after several uninstalls and reinstalls of the app, then of rebooting the phone and factory-resetting the bulbs, and then upgrading the iOS itself. After several of these, the Kasa app finally worked for some unpredictable reason.

First, it is glad to hear that you figured it out.

Meanwhile, we will forward it to our RD team to improve the performance of the APP.

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:LB130 keeps asking me to connect to wifi
2019-11-05 09:19:30

@NearlyNormal 

What is the iOS version of your iPhone 8 plus? The latest one should be 13.1.3.

Try to reset the bulb again by turning it on and off for 5 times slowly and then re-set it up.

Besides, try to change another phone to install it, like Android phone. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-11-05 14:35:39

@Kevin_Z it is 13.1.3. 

1. We have soft reset a few times (3 on/off)

2. We have hard reset twice (5 on/off) -- the bulb comes back with three blinks, the app has the issue 

3. We have rebooted the iPhone 

4. We have uninstalled the kasa app, reinstalled the kasa app -- same issue 

Below is the screen with "Add Device" that it stops at. Whether we're connected to our home wifi, or the TP-Link-(something) wifi, the same screen. It does NOT show us the screen flow that asks for our wifi password etc. Please update your documentation to include these scenarios. 

Options
2019-11-06 02:28:50

@NearlyNormal 

Thanks for your reply. As the error message, you can go to settings-wifi page to confirm that you have connected your iPhone to the host wifi and back to Kasa app and verify whether you can go to next step. 

Besides, per I said before, we got many feedback that customers are able  to reconnect their kasa devices to their routers once they upgraded to the latest 13.1.3. You can try to reboot the smart phone and then re-add the LB130.

Still the same, you can change another smart phone to set it up first, and we will keep working on it. 

Wish your kindly understanding. 

Options
2019-11-06 03:05:08

@Kevin_Z not very helpful. I know how to check that I'm on wifi. I already mentioned in both my notes above that whether I'm connected to our home wifi or the bulb's wifi the screen in the Kasa app is the same. I'm a digital consultant in life. Please direct me based on understand that I know how mobiles and computers work. Your app has the bug. We don't have another phone -- both our iPhones give the same issue and both have the latest iOS. 

what now? Any solution or are you going to keep suggesting silly things like checking wifi? 

Options
2019-11-06 07:42:27

@NearlyNormal 

Hello, sorry for the the inconvenience caused. 

The latest iOS 13.2 has been released, you can install it to give it a go.

Still the same, please provide the mac address of the smart bulb and your cloud account and we can try to do further analysis. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-11-06 07:53:05 - last edited 2019-11-06 07:56:52

@Kevin_Z we don't have a cloud account as we don't want remote control. Just from the phones. Is creating a cloud account a pre requisite? It doesn't say that anywhere.

As for 13.2 it doesn't include anything that'll help with a smart bulb -- some image processing system crap and HomeKit etc. Will do but we hope TP bulbs aren't so dependent on every minor update being released. iOS seems to have a new one every week now. Will we struggle with your bulbs from week to week? 

Options
2019-11-06 18:12:59

@Kevin_Z we have updated to 13.2. Restarted phone. Same issue with the Kasa app. What next? We don't have and don't want a cloud account. Just want the app to do its job. Let us know what to do. 

Options
2019-11-07 09:03:01

@NearlyNormal 

If you want to manage it local only, you can set it up without the cloud account. 

Steps are as below:

Open KASA app, click on create an account--click skip and tab on "continue without account". After you finished the configuration, the LB130 will be local only, no remote control available. 

And cause you still failed to set it up, our engineer will follow up via email and try to fix it. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:LB130 keeps asking me to connect to wifi -Solution
2019-11-08 08:51:42 - last edited 2019-11-08 08:52:11

Update: 

Per you said on the email, after several uninstalls and reinstalls of the app, then of rebooting the phone and factory-resetting the bulbs, and then upgrading the iOS itself. After several of these, the Kasa app finally worked for some unpredictable reason.

First, it is glad to hear that you figured it out.

Meanwhile, we will forward it to our RD team to improve the performance of the APP.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1231

Replies: 9