Kasa plugs won't connect to "Unsecured network"

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-05 11:00:09 - last edited 2020-01-11 12:11:09
Model: HS100  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: nk

I've successfully connected various Kasa plugs to Alexas in my home but when I tried to connect one to my garden office Alexa it could only find the greyed out wifi signal coming from my computer, which it said it couldn't connect to because it was an "Unsecured network". The wifi that goes through my computer s connected to the internet via a cable. My Echo Dot is connected to this same wifi without any issues. I looked to update the wifi to utilise WPA2 password protection, but couldn't see how. Any suggestions?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Kasa plugs won't connect to "Unsecured network"-Solution
2019-11-08 07:42:27 - last edited 2020-01-11 12:11:09

@RichardG 

Hello, like Mike said, to protect the privacy/network security, the HS100 supports WEP and WPA2-PSK personal, but it doesn’t support un-secured, portal or WPA/WPA2 Enterprise.

You can buy a lower end router to provide a secured wireless with WPA2 encyrpted to satify the needs of the smart plug.

If need more help, please be free to let us know.

Best regards. 

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Kasa plugs won't connect to "Unsecured network"
2019-11-05 13:02:09
Check with a windows forum/community. Unless it's a pretty old version of windows it should support WPA2 in hotspot mode. For Win10 it's in the wifi properties hotspot settings under "Edit".
AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2019-11-05 13:25:42

@MikeP Thanks for the reply Mike. However, I'm using a Mac not Windows. Any further ideas?

Rich

Options
2019-11-05 13:38:57
Sorry, didn't see MAC mentioned and assumed... If the MAC folks say WPA2 isn't supported then a low end router would be a much better/safer/inexpensive choice. I definitely would not host an open network on a computer and running IoT devices on an open network is very risky.
AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2019-11-05 18:04:19

@MikeP good idea Mike. I would have to switch the Echo to it so they're on the same network I guess. Bit annoying that i can't add a pw to the hotspot - I'm pretty sure I had to input a pw when I connected my phone to it. Hey ho!

Options
Re:Kasa plugs won't connect to "Unsecured network"-Solution
2019-11-08 07:42:27 - last edited 2020-01-11 12:11:09

@RichardG 

Hello, like Mike said, to protect the privacy/network security, the HS100 supports WEP and WPA2-PSK personal, but it doesn’t support un-secured, portal or WPA/WPA2 Enterprise.

You can buy a lower end router to provide a secured wireless with WPA2 encyrpted to satify the needs of the smart plug.

If need more help, please be free to let us know.

Best regards. 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 7157

Replies: 5

Related Articles