HS110 disable On/Off button in S/W

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-06 10:29:17 - last edited 2019-12-10 08:51:02
Model: HS110  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi,

Thanks for a really great device.

I am, like a lot of other people, using this device to monitor the power usage on a Fridge/Freezer. In this situation, using the App, it is too easy to inadvertantly operate the On/Off switch. This is something that you would not like to do, especially when using on a Fridge/Freezer.

Would it be possible for you add an disable function to the App so that, if you are simply using the device to monitor power usage, you can set the device so that the S/W On/Off function is disabled?

I curently have the up-to-date firmware installed.

Thanks,
Bruce

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:HS110 disable On/Off button in S/W-Solution
2019-12-06 12:24:44 - last edited 2019-12-10 08:51:02

@taylorb100 

Sorry to tell you that there is no option to disable on/off function now; and it is a smart plug, the on/off button is used to turn it on or off via a simple click. 

And except the on/off button, you can click the device name to get into the main menu page. 

Also we have noted this request and will forward it to our product department. 

Best regards. 

Recommended Solution
Options
13 Reply
Re:HS110 disable On/Off button in S/W-Solution
2019-12-06 12:24:44 - last edited 2019-12-10 08:51:02

@taylorb100 

Sorry to tell you that there is no option to disable on/off function now; and it is a smart plug, the on/off button is used to turn it on or off via a simple click. 

And except the on/off button, you can click the device name to get into the main menu page. 

Also we have noted this request and will forward it to our product department. 

Best regards. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:HS110 disable On/Off button in S/W
2019-12-07 02:41:01
Thanks so much for a timely reply.
Options
2019-12-10 08:50:44

@taylorb100 

You are welcome, glad to help you. 

If need more help, be free to let us know. 

Options
2019-12-25 06:35:14

@rajat2020 No, this problem is not solved yet as it needs Tp-Link to modify software. Awaiting news from TP-Link.

Options
2019-12-25 07:47:49

@taylorb100 

Hi, it is a spammer and has been removed. 

Options
2021-01-28 21:00:19

@Kevin_Z as a parent, I would like the ability to disable the physical on/off button on any TP-Link smart plug or smart power strip, to prevent my kid from figuring out they can just push the button to get screentime or whatever.  I can just ziptie a plug to the smart plug to keep them from moving it, but the physical button is there.  This is a product request for all of your smart plugs/strips, for future versions if it can't be done on current product hardware.

Options
2021-02-11 01:44:53

@Kevin_Z 

I would also like to have the ability to disable the in app On/Off button, as I also use the HS110 to monitor power usage on devices that i do not want to inadvertently switch off. When using the Kasa app it is all too easy to accidentally press the power button while trying to access the energy monitoring screen.

The ability to lock the power button in the app, or enable a confirmation dialogue for a device or group would greatly increase the usefulness of this device. The main selling point of the H110 in my eyes is the energy monitoring (which is why I bought them), but there are many appliances where you would not want to risk an accidental power down.

I understand that it may not be possible to override the physical switch on the device itself if there are technical limitations (although this would be a great feature for parental control), but the ability to lock the software power button would surely be a quick win for usability and help promote this device as a convenient wireless energy monitor.

Cheers

Options
2021-02-11 01:50:02

@Kevin_Z 

Come on guys. This isn't rocket science stuff. Surely you could very easily facilitate this function. Show us your metal.....

Options
2021-02-11 02:26:39

@taylorb100 

I have to ask the question... As a manufacturer of a product, what is the point in having a community blog, where Customers can share their experiences and suggestions which would enhance the capabilities of a product, and not implementing those improvements? A Community is a two way relationship.

Any prospective buyer, reading these blogs, would look elsewhere for a product manufacturer who continually improves it's product, especially when their users are crying out for simple modifications to be done to the App.

Options
2021-03-04 06:54:26 - last edited 2021-03-04 07:09:24

I have to say that I completely agree with @taylorb100 on this. The HS110, KP303, HS300 (all of your energy monitoring products that I have owned) are all truly great products and I have to give my thanks and appreciation to TP-Link for creating and offering these amazing products but I am very confused about how this request is being handled as the first mention of this was back in Dec 2019 (15 months ago). It would be beneficial to the great many people who have seen or will see this thread if TP-Link could provide a status update on this request. If it helps for us to get in contact with a specific person or department (or post somewhere else in the community) to get the ball rolling on this can you please let us know @Kevin_Z? Allowing people to be able to not accidentally turn their devices off should not only make sense from a usability standpoint but from a business perspective you are showing your customers that you are listening to their feedback and making sensible updates based on that. I can't see what validates that "#1 in customer satisfaction" on your homepage more. This should be a very easy win for your company, please just take it.

From a product / technical perspective we fully understand that controlling or locking the physical button could be a little more complex and might not be feasible to be performed as a quick update as @ibjim alluded to but a confirmation dialog for an existing function in the app should be extremely simple. There is already a device settings page, just send this thread to whomever makes the decisions for something like this, have someone create a ticket / task for your developers and say copy the "Status LED" toggle in the device settings, change the label to something along the lines of "Confirm Power Off", change the variable name to something along the lines of "confirmOffSetting" and then add some very basic confirmation logic on the individual devices where the on/off button is similar to:

if ( confirmOffSetting ) {
    print "Are you sure that you want to power off ${Device_Label}?"
    if ( confirm ) {
        powerOffFunction($deviceID) // Proceed with your normal Power Off function for the button
    }
}

It doesn't need to be any more complicated than that. If for some reason you need assistance with the code you have tons of people reading this who would gladly take a few minutes out of their day to provide you with the relevant updates in whatever language this is written in for free (myself included). Nevertheless thanks again for a great product, I just hope you guys do right on this.

Options

Information

Helpful: 5

Views: 5109

Replies: 13