HS300 Random power cycle

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS300 Random power cycle

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
76 Reply
Re:HS300 Random power cycle
2020-10-29 22:43:39 - last edited 2020-10-29 22:44:53

Just got a reboot on the brand new unit they sent, for the first time since applying the above network changes--the other unit has yet to restart, but we'll see.

The underlying issue is apparently still there.

Options
2020-10-29 23:20:49

Also just now got a reboot on the other device. What do we do now, TP-Link?

Options
2020-10-30 04:25:02 - last edited 2020-10-30 04:33:48

So I pulled the trigger during Prime day and purchased another unit, despite having troubles with the first one. I now have two, an US/1.0 and US/1.8 versions.

The US/1.0 version was the misbehaving one but interestingly, I have not noticed a restart for about two weeks now. Previously it was several restarts a day, easily noticeable as I am working from home and my LCD monitor is attached to it. There were few things I did: I slightly repositioned the unit, it was previously laying flat on my desk, with the WiFi router being directly under it one floor below. Now the unit is at the same place but attached to a wall, so rotated 90 deg. I did also reset the unit using the black reset switch on the back and restarted my router (Asus AC68u). For the record, my router DNS is set to those recommended Google DNS servers for several years already - I think the DNS is irrelevant. One thing I noticed, although it might be a coincidence, is that the unit once or twice restarted shortly after I hit the table with my knee or otherwise caused some vibration to the unit - I thought a mechanical problem with the reset switch so I flipped that switch back and fort just for giggles.

The new, US/1.8 unit, is located directly about 2ft next to the router and it's been fine for about two weeks since I purchased it. A modem, main router and a NAS is attached to it so I am pretty sure I'd notice a restart.

So right now both my units are fine, the first one, the 1.0 is about a year old and the restarts were a frustrating experience for maybe only a month, during September/October, I did not notice any restarts before that. Now it seems fine too.

My gut feeling is that this might be some WiFi interference or router incompatibility, or the Kasa app / Kasa servers errorneously restarting the unit. I am using the Android app version. I am also running Home Assistant with continuous monitoring of both the strips and with monitoring each plug power consumption so both the strips are being frequently and continuously talked to. (HA is another story, the Kasa integration is far from stable)

I hope that helps anyone. I am keeping an eye on both units and hope the restarts won't come back. 

Options
2020-12-26 02:18:12

Anyone ever find anymore information about this?  This happens a few times a month on mine and it seems like it's getting worse.

Hardware 1.0

Firmware: 1.0.19

Options
2020-12-29 07:00:42

@mjifojeqlkj23 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your feedback and we would like to follow up on your case by email.

Please have a check of your email box later.

Thanks a lot and Wish you a happy new year.

Options
2021-01-02 00:42:56

Was a fix for this ever found? I've had this issue with my HS-300 power strip ever since I bought it back in February 2020. It just power cycles randomly every few hours.

Hardware: 1.0

Firmware: 1.0.19

Options
2021-01-05 02:55:23

@DivingHeader 

Hi, Thank you very much for your kind feedback.

Almost each case has its own specialty, and the available solution is not suitable for every case.

If you do not mind, please help us check the following information:

1. What is the model number of the home router and did you use any third party programs, like Home Bridge, Home Assistant?

2. Could you please record a video clip about the power cycle process on the HS300?

3. please also try to reset the HS300, then leave it un-configured and check again whether it would still power cycle or not.

Thanks a lot and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-01-05 03:44:46

I was in contact with TP-LINK support but we never found a fix. I ended up returning my 1.8 hardware and kept the old 1.0. I have recently upgraded my home router from ASUS AC-68U (T-Mobile CellSpot flashed with Merlin) to TP-LINK AC4000. Since then, my old HS300 has been stable, and it's been about 4 weeks without a power cycle. 

Options
2021-02-08 20:37:43

@TP-Link Neither of these suggestions is reasonable.  The reboots happen randomly and unless one records the strip 24 hours per day until it happens, you'll never catch it in action.  As for your #3 request, this sounds like something you should be doing.  You have hundreds of people reporting this is an issue; it's not something specific to one person's environment.  I have THREE of these all doing the same thing, but I sure as hell am not buying any more of these.  

Options
2021-02-26 15:01:24

I have the same issue with 2 HS300s I bought through Amazon. This thread shows me that TP Link either doesn't understand the issue or is at a loss for a fix. Returning.

Options
Related Articles