What is the difference between Kasa and Tapo

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

What is the difference between Kasa and Tapo

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
17 Reply
Re:What is the difference between Kasa and Tapo
2020-08-15 18:51:26

Can you run tapo automations via amazon alexa for an example if motion detected switch on the light or announce theres someone at the front door.

Options
2020-12-26 18:19:26

@Kevin_Z hi, so this is intentional? Why the hell does one company need two intelligent home systems? That does not seem very intelligent to me.. 

Options
2021-01-20 11:51:52

@BogdanZ does the KP105 (Kasa Mini Smart Plug) still work with IFTTT do you know? 

Options
2021-01-22 11:23:50

@Joeseppe 

Hi, yes, it is.

And please refer to this link:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2426/

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-01-23 11:38:49 - last edited 2021-01-23 11:42:01

@KevinC666 Having used both series (plus Philips Hue lighting) for a while now it seems that they are, for most everyday practical purposes interchangeable.

As a recent example, I temporarily "borrowed" the energy monitor Kasa plug from my washing machine and substituted a Tapo plug. I only needed to rename the two plugs to have everything running as I wanted under Alexa - the Tapo controlling the washing machine and the Kasa plug providing a temporary total consumption monitor on the hifi system. The only situation I think I would be wary of - and this caution would apply to either/any of these products - is switching heavily inductive loads - things with big motors. I wouldn't want to weld the contacts of the internal relay together!

I ony started buying the Tapo plugs because I needed to use them on multi-socket extensions. The big oval Kasa  plug pretty much took over the adjacent sockets so I needed to look for an alternative for those cases. On the other hand, the comprehensive energy monitoring makes the Kasa plug a must for some applications.

I hope at least some of this is relevant and helpful.

Options
2021-01-23 22:03:43

@70sEngineer give a look at the Kasa KP115 its slim and have the energy monitoring

New TP-Link Kasa KP115 to replace the HS110

https://watt-app.com/blog-kasa-KP115.html

"Watt for Smart Devices" made with ♡ for the TP-link IoT community https://watt-app.com/ (just for iOS/iPad and MacOS)
Options
2021-03-04 06:16:31

examiner wrote

@Kevin_Z hi, so this is intentional? Why the hell does one company need two intelligent home systems? That does not seem very intelligent to me.. 

I guess they bought 2 companies and set the same marketing team to promote both - which is why they appear identical :-(

TP-Link, trying to confuse your customers does NOT help them to make that all-important decision of which to purchase ! 
Make an effort to differentiate these products.

1/ Is the Kasa range being discontinued in favor of Tapo ?  If so, how long before you turn Kasa's cloud servers off and Kasa products become useless ?

2/ Tapo claims to have more AI - what does this mean ?  Does the device store schedules internally so it operates correctly without a working internet connection ?  Does Tapo even use a server in the cloud to communicate between smartphone app and the device ?

3/ Can Tapo devices work with a local home automation controller (like Home Assistant) ?  This is a major feature for Kasa.

4/ And why choose the name "Tapo" ?  TP-Link's website search feature doesn't recognise it as a word, instead returning all 695 uses of "TP" :-D

Options
Related Articles