Tapo C200 Camera losing connection almost daily

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Tapo C200 Camera losing connection almost daily

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
36 Reply
Re:Tapo C200 Camera losing connection almost daily
2020-12-13 20:43:35 - last edited 2020-12-15 06:54:39

I have a similar issue. Camera seems to crash randomly. When this happens I can ping it via command line from my computer but it's shown as offline in the app and also RTSP stream stops working.

When I reboot my wifi when this happens, the camera is the only device in my network that does not reconnect. It stays offline.

It looks like a bug with the firmware which causes the whole camera to stop working until it gets rebooted by unplug and replug it.

I'm really upset with this device right now. It's useless at the moment because it's absolutely unreliable as baby monitor.

On top the app is really slow when I don't reboot the camera twice a day. And app notifications are not able to handle Android doze mode probably on Google Pixel. Sometimes the notifications are delayed by several minutes.

Options
2020-12-15 01:47:29

@akatelka 

Hi, akatelka,

May I know how long have you had the camera?

When the camera is offline, would the system led turn red?

What is the model number of the home router?

Have you tried to factory reset it to see if that helped?

And when it is offline, how did you recover the connection, rebooting the camera?

Thanks for your reply.

Options
2020-12-15 01:58:46

@Kruemelmonster 

Good day,

We would like to forward your case by email and please help us check the following details:

1. How long have you had the camera and when did this issue start?

2. What is the model number of your home router?

3. When the camera is offline, what color of the system LED light on the camera? And if you are connected to the same home router’s Wi-Fi, are you able to see and control it on the app?

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-12-15 02:16:31

@ChristerH 

Hi, sorry for the delay.

Could you please help us check the following information:

1. What is the model number of your home router?

2. Would the system led turn red when the cameras are offline?

3. if the smartphone is connected to the same Wi-Fi as cameras, would it still show up as offline?

4.What need you do to recover the connection, rebooting the camera?

If possible, is there any chance to create a separate 2.4ghz guest network for cameras and smartphones only, and would they still be offline?

Thanks a lot and wait for your reply.

Options
2020-12-15 06:37:47

@TP-Link 

I have the camera for a month. Bought both together. The system led would remain green. Home router is a tp link mr600. The connection would recover only with plugging out and in the power cable. Sometimes the app would not connect, but i could go to the settings screen of the camera and reboot it from there (but that was a rare case)... It is now on a daily restart process from the settings, but it's obvious that this is not a solution when the other camera has a steady connection and access for the same amount of time, without reboots or anything...

Options
2020-12-15 07:08:39

@TP-Link 

1. For about one and a half months. Crashing for about 1 or 2 weeks now. Connection issues since the beginning.

2. I replaced a TP-Link Archer C7 with a Tenda Nova MW12 mesh system about a week ago. I reset the camera then. Maybe the crashes are because of this or because of the firmware upgrade on the camera recently. With the Archer C7 the connection was very slow and unstable. With the Tenda it's fast. Every other device in my network works flawlessly with the Tenda mesh.

3. I turned the LED off. I think it's stays off. It's in my baby's room. So I'm not able to check this without waking my baby.

I'm not able to control the camera when it crashes because the app shows it as offline. But as I said, I can ping it from my computer. So it's definitely reachable.

Options
2020-12-16 08:22:08 - last edited 2020-12-16 08:22:42

I think the Tapo Cam and/or app has some serious software issues. I bought an Eufy Indoor Cam which I use for this purpose and in the same environment now and it seem to work perfectly well. It is also much more responsive on the app.

Options
2020-12-23 06:17:55

@ChristerH I faced the same issue too. Using Mesh nodes in all my rooms. 2 out of the 4 cameras keep disconnecting from the wifi. I am not sure if we remove band steering and keep to only 2.4Ghz will resolve the disconnection issues as the C200 can only support 2.4Ghz.

Options
2020-12-29 16:22:02 - last edited 2020-12-29 16:22:43

Hi, I am facing the same issue, too.

The C200 ist connected to 2,4 GHz Wifi at a FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable and placed in just 2m distance.

Automatic reboot is scheduled every night, but the cam looses connection nearly every day. Only hard reboot can make it work again.

hardware version: 1.0

firmware version: 1.0.17

If necessary i can provide a diagnose-log-file.

thanks in advance

Options
2021-01-05 05:41:45

@ruffits 

Thank you very much for your kind reply.

Sorry for the delay.

We would like to follow up your case by email and please check your email box later.

Thanks a lot.

Options
Related Articles