scheduling during IP outage

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-06 12:26:22
Model: Tapo P100  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I would like to use the P100 to remotely reset my internet box.

I sometimes need to reset my internet box from outside: I have a set of connected cameras at home and it happens that for some reason the camera connexion gets blocked: the easy solution to restore the cameras is to reset the internet box.

The idea is to power the box behind a P100. 

While the box is ON, I can remotely send a command to the P100 to turn it OFF. When the P100 is OFF, the box is OFF, and I have no more internet at home. The question is to restart the box after 15 seconds...

Does the Timer of the P100 work when there is no internet ? If I schedule an OFF/ON process, and internet stops when P100 is OFF, will the P100 activate itself ON even if there is no internet ? If yes, this would be great !

Thanks,

Henry

Options
4 Reply
Re:scheduling during IP outage
2020-09-06 15:47:34
TP Link will need to answer with details, but one thing to keep in mind is that if there's a power outage while you're away the router will be off and you won't be able to reach the P100 to turn it back on. You could perhaps setup schedules to turn the P100 on periodically to help recover, but in my experience after a power outage Kasa devices won't run their schedules if they don't get access to the internet to resync their internal clocks. Definitely best to test before you leave home...
AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2020-09-06 16:06:01

Thank you Mike for your reply.

Please note that the P100 itself always remains under power.

My question is : will it perform a scheduled task when internet is OFF ?

Does the P100 memorize locally the scheduled tasks ?

The scheduled process starts with internet ON : action = shut off the setbox.

Then, as the setbox is OFF, the scheduled task is to restart the setbox.

Do you think this will work ?

Thanks,

Henry

Options
2020-09-07 01:55:14

@Hvdl I have an HS100/HS110 which runs their schedules on board - I'm not sure about the P100 but I'd guess the same - if you can't try it you'll need to wait for TP Link support to answer.  Sounds like you have a UPS, if so you still need to watch for the UPS dying but yeah it's much less likely.

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2020-09-07 13:08:11

Basically, the question is : 

Can I activate the Timer of the TapoP100 to go ON in 15 minutes, and while the Timer is running put the TapoP100 on OFF (this will cause my internet setbox connected to the TapoP100 to shut down) ? The idea is to have the TapoP100 turn to ON after the timer has ended, and in turn get the internet setbox to restart.

The reason of the above question is to know whether or not the TapoP100 memorizes the Timer instructions, as it will need to go ON when the internet setbox is OFF.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 612

Replies: 4