Tapo c200 can only be controlled locally

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-02 01:28:25 - last edited 2023-04-11 09:56:33
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.14

My tapo c200 displays this device can only be controlled locally 

I tried resetting the camera but the problem still exist. 

I don't have connection problems as our internet is stable 

Also i would like to point out the incorrect date and time even though the timezone is correct. 

This issues comes days after i update to 1.0.14 

The issue now is if the device cannot connect to server or thinks there is no internet connection how can it fetch a new update to fix the issue. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tapo c200 can only be controlled locally -Solution
2021-06-29 03:20:28 - last edited 2023-04-11 09:56:18

[Solution] Tapo c200 can only be controlled locally

Hello everyone, 
The camera can only be controlled locally may be due to the special settings of the router/modem, such as Firewall, Access Control, etc., or may be caused by a certain mobile phone.

Here are some suggestions on this issue.

1. Please update the Tapo app to the latest one and update the firmware of the Tapo Camera to the latest one.

2. Reboot your camera for a try.

3. Try some tips in the below guide (Case2) : 
What should I do if I can't view the Tapo camera?
Including adjusting your router's DNS settings(such as changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8). 

4. Please connect your phone to a different Wi-Fi network for a try, or test when the phone uses mobile data from other SIM cards company. (This is to see if the problem relates to a certain ISP or SIM card company.)

5. You may also factory reset the camera, reinstall it, and see if that makes any difference.

If still the same issue, please Create a new thread here  and provide some case details to help look into the case. 
1. Model number and Hardware version of the Tapo Camera.
2. Model number of your router, and describe your network map.(e.g. ISP--modem/router)))extender)))Tapo C200) 
3. Collect the camera log and share the log file with us. How to Get the Log of Tapo Camera? The log helps us analyze the causes of the 'local only'.

More Articles

【New Arrival 】2K Tapo Wire-Free Camera System Tapo C420S2 Being Released

【New Arrival 】 HomeKit Device RoundUp

Recommended Solution
Options
23 Reply
Re:Tapo c200 can only be controlled locally
2020-10-02 09:42:50 - last edited 2023-04-10 11:54:47

@Icarus18 

Good day.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

May i know the model number of your home router?

Have you tried to turn off the firewall and channel the DNS server on the router to be 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 to have a look?

By the way, is there any remote control switch on the device settings on the Tapo APP?

Thanks a lot.

Options
2020-10-31 09:58:18
I also have the same issue. this is not a solution as the problem persists.
Options
2020-11-03 08:39:21 - last edited 2023-04-07 11:27:50

@Deamon 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Can you see the remote control switch on the APP? And if you try to turn on the remote control, would there be any error message?

Have you tried to change the DNS server on the router to be 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4, and turn off the firewall as well?

What is the model number of your home router?

Did this issue start since you had the camera?

And have you reset and reconfigure the camera before?

Thanks a lot.

Options
2021-04-30 09:38:11

@Icarus18 Have the same problem  

Options
2021-06-27 15:07:49

@Brook Hi, i've having the same issue, only can control/view locally. Tried reset twice, and connect direct to host router instead of wifi extender but problem persist. Changing the router dns is not an option as the router/wifi is not mine. Is there any method that i can use other than this? I have a Tapo 510 bulb with no issue using the wifi. Take note that when i use my phone hotspot for the connection i have no issue with remote camera control and able to update the latest firmware (27/6/2021). Can this issue be resolve through upcoming firmware update? or this is definitely router settings issue? I have other IP camera in the house which works perfectly. I believe this is HW 1.0. Is there any other workaround regarding this issue? Thanks

Options
Re:Tapo c200 can only be controlled locally -Solution
2021-06-29 03:20:28 - last edited 2023-04-11 09:56:18

[Solution] Tapo c200 can only be controlled locally

Hello everyone, 
The camera can only be controlled locally may be due to the special settings of the router/modem, such as Firewall, Access Control, etc., or may be caused by a certain mobile phone.

Here are some suggestions on this issue.

1. Please update the Tapo app to the latest one and update the firmware of the Tapo Camera to the latest one.

2. Reboot your camera for a try.

3. Try some tips in the below guide (Case2) : 
What should I do if I can't view the Tapo camera?
Including adjusting your router's DNS settings(such as changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8). 

4. Please connect your phone to a different Wi-Fi network for a try, or test when the phone uses mobile data from other SIM cards company. (This is to see if the problem relates to a certain ISP or SIM card company.)

5. You may also factory reset the camera, reinstall it, and see if that makes any difference.

If still the same issue, please Create a new thread here  and provide some case details to help look into the case. 
1. Model number and Hardware version of the Tapo Camera.
2. Model number of your router, and describe your network map.(e.g. ISP--modem/router)))extender)))Tapo C200) 
3. Collect the camera log and share the log file with us. How to Get the Log of Tapo Camera? The log helps us analyze the causes of the 'local only'.

More Articles

【New Arrival 】2K Tapo Wire-Free Camera System Tapo C420S2 Being Released

【New Arrival 】 HomeKit Device RoundUp

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-11-10 09:40:22

@Icarus18 

Hi guys,

same issue here.

C200 ist working fine within my private network, but the remote control ist not possible.

I did several resets, put the cam in "exposed mode" in my fritzbox (7590 modell, latest firmware) and i have a stable 100Mbit connection...

So port-forwarding should not be an issue in this mode (btw: what would be the ports and protocolls for the cam i have to open in my firewall, if i remove the exposed mode to use the cam with the tapo app?)

After several attempts, it is still not possible to access the cam via the Tapo app outside of my private network.

DNS is already set to 8.8.8.8

I do not have a switch in the app (version 2.4.42) for remote control...

Any ideas?

Options
2022-04-27 19:48:51
I’ve had this problem this device could only be connected locally My solution that worked for me I used a wifi extender and it connected through that I can now view remotely
Options
2022-08-22 14:48:47

@jacky1 I also have the same issue the camera is working remotely when both camera and mobile are connected to same wifi connection (means inside home) when i go outside of home it is not working. 

So what is the advantage to buy this ridiculous product when we can not remotely access it. We need camera protection when  we are outside. 

Options
2022-11-10 14:11:51

@Icarus18 Did anyone get this working I'm still having this issue.. bought the camera this week and can't get it to work outside of the local network.

Options

Information

Helpful: 7

Views: 11867

Replies: 23

Related Articles