Kasa devices and Home Assistant - Integration now broken due to firmware update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Kasa devices and Home Assistant - Integration now broken due to firmware update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
86 Reply
Re:Kasa devices and Home Assistant - Integration now broken due to firmware update
2020-12-24 21:38:24

@TP-Link 

Greetings @TP-Link,

I've just gotten a new HS110 and wanted to integrate this new device into my Home Assistant network. But unfortunately, it didn't work. I bought it a couple of weeks ago, but left it in the box until Christmas. Now it is disappointing to see that updating the firmware rendered the device more or less useless to me.

Meanwhile I've visited different boards and read some threads, but I still don't know, what I have to do. Do I have to return the device or is there still hope?
Is there a firmware to downgrade the device or is there a new firmware to install?

My details are:
Model - HS110
Hardware-Version - 4.0
Firmware-Version - 1.0.5 (freshly updated)

I've sent you a private message (like mentioned in #24) containing the MAC, but I did not get any confirmation whether is has been processed successfully or not. If my MAC is still missing, please let me know.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Best regards,
Fridolin

Options
Re:Kasa devices and Home Assistant - Integration now broken due to firmware update
2020-12-25 02:44:37

@Fridolin34 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

The EU version plugs would not be affected and there is no need to collect the MAC address.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Wish you a Happy New year and Merry Christmas.

Options
2020-12-25 05:45:49

@TP-Link 

Asking for a family member:

Will the following firmware updates break anything with the old API / Home Assistant?

• 1.1.3 for US/Canada H103 HW V2.1
  • 1.1.4 for US/Canada HS200 HW V3.0

The release notes state Wi-Fi and other stability improvements.

Will this impact the old API at all?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Options
2020-12-25 12:01:59

@TP-Link 

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. Honestly, I was not expecting to hear anything form you until 'next year'.

First I did not know, what I should do with this answer, but once I knew that it should work, I found some manual configuration, tried it out and now my HomeAssistant instance displays all values quite nicely. So all is good and I can start creating new Automations to fully benefit from this new device.

Do you think I need to configure my firewall to prevent this device form calling home and getting a new firmware anytime in the future? I would not like to see the needed ports being blocked and the device getting useless.

Thanks a lot in advance and also to you, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Fridolin

Options
2020-12-28 03:02:37
No, it will not be affected. Thank you very much.
Options
2020-12-28 03:07:41

@Fridolin34 

Thanks a lot for your time and patience.

Since the pervious firmware 1.1.0 was pushed to update without permission, it caused a huge mess.

So for the later firmware upgrade, there would be a release note first about the related changes and bug fix to the old firmware.

It would not be updated without approval.

Thank you very much for your understanding and support.

Wish you a Happy New Year and Merry Christmas.

Options
2020-12-28 11:26:21

@TP-Link 

Thank you for your reply.

So either to prevent installing accidentally released versions or to risk that I don't read the release notes carefully enough, I've just blocked the HS110 from accessing the internet. It does what it is supposed to do inside the HomeAssistant network and that's fine for me.

Best regards,
Fridolin

Options
2021-01-09 04:45:41

@TP-Link With the 1.1.0 creating such a big mess amongst the install base, would suggest TP Link to push out the 1.1.1 firmware to all affected users, as a default option. It can be a prompt requiring user installation, instead of auto updating the firmware.

I've been waiting for my 1.1.1 firmware for weeks (post a message to you), and I'm still not seeing the option pushed down. Meanwhile, my HA integration is broken. Is there any way to do a manual firmware upload?

Options
2021-02-11 18:50:23

@TP-Link 

I bought recentrly :

-2 HS 110 EU Hardware V4 Firmware V1.0.5

-3 HS 100 EU Hardware V4 Firmware V1.1.5

None of them can be found by Home assistant crying.

Is it normal as I thought EU ones are not supposed to be affected?

Options
2021-03-01 14:39:50

Hi all,

I got the following response from the TP Link support team when contacted via the website:

In the latest Kasa firmware release, we upgraded the local communication authentication method for the two smart sockets HS100(UK)4.1 and HS110(UK)4.1 to prevent local communication security risks. As a result, some third-party smart home software and platforms that use local APIs can no longer communicate with our devices. 

Since it has never been advertised by TP-Link that Kasa devices should support any unauthorized third-party platforms/applications, and only some famous third-party integration such as Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant have been guaranteed, we reserve the right to adjust the local APIs on the Kasa devices.

We're also planning to push more secure cloud API in the future before upgrading a more secure local communication authentication method on all Kasa devices. At that time, other third-party platforms/applications can register a developer account on our official website and integrate with us through our more secure APIs.

Thank you for your continued support of the Kasa brand.

Very disappointing reply tbh, and I certainly won't be buying any more TP Link products going forward (despite being an otherwise very happy customer of 10+ years).

Options
Related Articles