Kasa devices and Home Assistant - Integration now broken due to firmware update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Kasa devices and Home Assistant - Integration now broken due to firmware update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
86 Reply
Re:Kasa devices and Home Assistant - Integration now broken due to firmware update
2020-11-21 23:55:11

@drewy It wasn't clear. That's why I asked. I wouldn't have wasted my time asking if it was clear. 

Options
Re:Kasa devices and Home Assistant - Integration now broken due to firmware update
2020-11-21 23:58:04
Chill dude, not a big issue 😀
Options
2020-11-23 02:33:49 - last edited 2020-11-24 07:14:05

Hi, All, Good day!

Since this firmware would not be released to all the users, only the customers related to the home assistant, so it would be processed directly from TP-LINK based on the MAC address which had been sent to us.

Please make sure that you have created a ticket to the support team or send me a message privately (click the nickname and choose 'message') with the following information:

ticket ID(if you have sent an email already)+TP-Link ID+ model number/hardware version about + MAC address

Thanks a lot for your cooperation and support.

Have a nice day.

Options
2020-11-23 05:50:56 - last edited 2020-11-23 05:51:14

@TP-Link I'm not sure this is the "best" solution.  There are many apps using the local API, not just home assistant, presumably you're granting a downgrade for all.

Clearly this is not a sustainable solution. 

What's going to happen with the older devices - do we need to refuse any further firmware updates?

What will you do if there's a *real* security problem found - will we be stuck with the security risk on old firmware?

I was able to accept (or not) every firmware update of my devices manually.  The first ones didn't even work in the app, you had to release a separate program for it.  Did you push this update without asking permission?  Why?  It scares me just to know this is possible!

I sincerely hope you're going to have a more coherent strategy for firmware updates and an open API than you've presented us here.

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2020-11-23 07:32:28

MikeP wrote

@TP-Link I'm not sure this is the "best" solution.  There are many apps using the local API, not just home assistant, presumably you're granting a downgrade for all.

Clearly this is not a sustainable solution. 

What's going to happen with the older devices - do we need to refuse any further firmware updates?

What will you do if there's a *real* security problem found - will we be stuck with the security risk on old firmware?

I was able to accept (or not) every firmware update of my devices manually.  The first ones didn't even work in the app, you had to release a separate program for it.  Did you push this update without asking permission?  Why?  It scares me just to know this is possible!

I sincerely hope you're going to have a more coherent strategy for firmware updates and an open API than you've presented us here.

@MikeP 

I totally agree - it looks like this was automatically picked by the community manager as the best solution.

I've re-opened the thread.

The list of recommendations I first posted still stand.

Although positive that it is being given proper attention, further communication updates regarding the long term local control API strategy, security, etc. (and progress updates) are warranted.

Options
2020-11-23 14:26:31

It doesn't even work any more with @TP-Link's own Deco Smart Actions! So it seems like the Kasa engineers forgot to talk to the Deco people, who might have explained how Smart Home devices are supposed to work! But why it still works with Google Home I have no idea...

Options
2020-11-23 14:30:56

@Brook Will there be a firmware downgrade option for the HS200? Or only the 110 devices? Just this morning, I was going to put my TP-Link device into Home Assistant only to find out that a short few days ago, this functionality was disabled due to a firmware update that I wasn't aware was being applied.

Options
2020-11-24 02:33:57

@TP-Link I have 53 tp-link switches...I replaced all my switches at home with tp-link as they supported local control out of the box! What a wasted $1,200+ in a month! crying I'm so annoyed with tp-link. Can you please update all my switches to enable local control? Removing existing functionality is no solution to fixing the code.

I can send you my account email-id instead of sending a huge list of Mac Ids as you already have it in my account! Please help and let me know a good long-term solution surprise

Options
2020-11-24 06:23:26 - last edited 2020-11-24 07:17:00

@asnandrey 

Good day,

Thank you very much for all your concern.

The firmware 1.1 was only pushed to HS100/HS110(UK) v4.1, So the US version, EU version, none V4.1, smart switches, bulbs would not be affected.

So for other smart home devices, please make sure they are working fine with Kasa devices.

At the same time, please have a check with Home assistance as well to see whether they have made any changes or not.

Thanks a lot.

Options
2020-11-24 06:27:32

@asnandrey found out about this through Twitter (thank you Troy hunt!). If TP link is going to render the investment of thousands of dollars crippled by their change they leave themselves exposed to a class action suit. Hopefully better ideas will emerge. I also have a LOT of these switches installed, and have integrated them with a variety of local controls. Arbitrary breaking of my install was not something I approved. Will start my ticket? Is that the method? Start a ticket, load a list of mac addresses (seems like a bad idea to publish that??)

asnandrey wrote

@TP-Link I have 53 tp-link switches...I replaced all my switches at home with tp-link as they supported local control out of the box! What a wasted $1,200+ in a month! crying I'm so annoyed with tp-link. Can you please update all my switches to enable local control? Removing existing functionality is no solution to fixing the code.

I can send you my account email-id instead of sending a huge list of Mac Ids as you already have it in my account! Please help and let me know a good long-term solution surprise

Options
Related Articles