Kasa sunset to sunrise security not allowed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-06 14:49:35 - last edited 2020-12-08 09:39:34
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Latest

Several years ago I asked why Kasa cannot configure the security random on/off mode on HS105 from sunset to sunrise and never got an understandable answer.  It is beyond my understanding that this feature cannot cross midnight controlling 1 HS105.  One room, 1 security light can only operate in security to 23:59 hrs and NO LATER.  This does not seem correct as sunset to sunrise is when I need security.  Any advice or fix is appreciated on how to fix this faulty software

Options
4 Reply
Re:Kasa sunset to sunrise security not allowed
2020-12-09 06:53:07

@Solcany 

Hi,

Are you talking about away mode?

Currently, away mode does not support cross days.

We could only set up a period of time and choose to repeat every day.

But it is a very useful suggestions and we have already reported to the senior engineers for further assistance.

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-12-09 22:12:18

@TP-Link Hi, yes I am referring to away mode, as I forgot the term.  I have emails from 2 years ago that said about the same thing.  PLEASE GET THIS TO WORK.  TWO YEARS is a long time to wait and still no progress.  I have 15 of the HS 103 and 105 and support your business.  Please anser the following 2 questions:

1)  Why is the away mode not allowed to operate from sunset to sunrise, when it is DARK AND LIGHTS are NEEDED.  This is not logical!!!!!

2)  When in schedule function this is allowed from sunset to sunrise or any time past midnight 00:59

It makes NO SENSE why schedule mode allows this but not away mode even though it shows as a sunrise choice when setting this up.  Please get this working now, as I am sure that there is more than 1 person wanting this to function. 

Options
2020-12-14 19:30:20

Please respond to my questions, TP Link, do not go silent.

Options
2020-12-14 20:02:24

@Solcany Development efforts on this kind of thing can take a long time for big companies, and that's assuming it'll ever hit the top of thier list...  I do agree it's a bit silly but there's really not much point holding your breath...

Can you work around this by creating 2 rules per day - midnight till dawn, sunse till midnight?

TBH the idea of needing an "away" random on/off behavior is a bit over blown...  Unless you're a high value target like a business/warehouse (in which case you shouldn't be using Kasa for security lighting) or you're worried your neighbours will be watching for the right day to break in, the idea that a potential burglar will sit outside your particular home taking note of the times your lights come on is a bit of a stretch.  That they would sit there more than one night and only break in if they see it's a pattern is silly...  Crooks smash and grab, in and out in 5-10 minutes.   They'll quickly pick the darkest home on the block that looks empty, watching for minutes not hours - lights on at sunset off at dawn are the best deterrent.

If you're really determined there are aftermarket apps that do this for Kasa devices.  There was also a post a while ago by TP Link advertising this away feature - perhaps if you respond to them there the Kasa product manager might see it.

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 612

Replies: 4