Couple times a year all of my HS200 switches experience significant connectivity issues.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Couple times a year all of my HS200 switches experience significant connectivity issues.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-17 17:58:07
Model: Kasa  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

A couple times a year my four TP Link HS200 smart switches will spend a day or more constantly trying to stay connected to my wireless, or drop off for minutes at a time with a red wifi logo.  When they're on I see latency spikes to them up to 4000-5000ms and 75-90% packet loss.  These smart switches are all about 3 years old.  The issue is actually happening right now.  An HS100 smart plug I bought just a few months ago is experiencing the same issue along with the switches right now.  I'm not sure how to fetch the hardware/firmware versions of the switches and plugs, I'm guessing it's in the kasa app?  I just control these with my Alexa app so I'd have to see if my wife still has the kasa app on her phone.

No other wireless devices are affected EXCEPT for my Craftsman(Chamberlain?) garage door opener but its latency and packet loss are only about half as bad as the TP Link devices.  My smart phone and my wife's smart phone are fine, several raspberry pis are currently showing constant 1ms latency and 0% packet loss.  No hardwired devices are affected.  I am confident that it's not the access point or my network.  If it matters I'm running an Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR access point with the latest firmware, and on the latest controller.

Why does this keep happening to my TP Link devices?  Full disclosure, I am a system & network administrator so we can skip past pretty much any network troubleshooting steps, not that I don't appreciate the help/tips of course.  Just don't want you to waste your time is all.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Couple times a year all of my HS200 switches experience significant connectivity issues.
2021-01-21 18:37:13

I think I may have resolved the issue. Another Unifi UAP/kasa device owner posted here on the TP Link forum 2 years ago that his UAP radios were set to auto channel(default setting) and 2.4GHz was on channel 1. He set it to manual channel 6 and thinks that fixed the issue.

Mine was auto(6) so I changed it to manual channel 11, while all the devices were offline/unable to connect, and they all came online and have stayed online ever since. I don't know how or why this fixed the issue, and it wasn't the UAP reprovision/reboot that did it because I had already rebooted and even power-cycled my access point several times by this point. Something about 2.4GHz and auto channel switching on a Unifi UAP doesn't get along with HS100/200 TP Link Kasa devices I guess.

Options
Re:Couple times a year all of my HS200 switches experience significant connectivity issues.
2021-01-27 07:30:26

Hello @opjohnny :) 

Thank you so much for posting this here :) I had the same problem! I will try to implement your tip right away!

Have a nice day :)

Options
2021-01-27 13:36:55

@SmartHomeLover 

No problem!  Since I set the 2.4GHz radio(what the TP-Link devices connect to) in my Ubiquiti access point from auto channel 6 to manual channel 11 I have not had any issues at all with my TP-Link devices.

My guess is either there was a lot of congestion on 2.4GHz channel 6, or it's some sort of a bug with this access point.

Options